Urgent help needed tank going bad

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by THATB GUY, 4 Jun 2011.

1. THATB GUY

THATB GUY

tank has very bad algae,have done a 100 percent water change maybe a week ago and the algae just takes over,some green and quite alot of dark brown,could it be the lighting (metal halide) or the skimmer?? please help...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. inflames

inflames

Hey Dude,

Some more info would help! How long is your tank been running? I do suspect that it is not really vital to attend to the algae now and that its probably just a "settling in" stage! What live stock and coral do you have? Are you skimming your tank? Using RO water as top up? what are your parameters? What sort of algae do you have? Some pics would help!

4. nico.m.ferreira

nico.m.ferreira

Because he did a 100% water change maturing might play a role. But need more info

5. AndrévN

AndrévN

Give us some more info regarding your tank. If it is still cycling this is normal BUT we need to know what water you using RO or tap and what is the TDS of this. No to begin there IS no fast cure for gha that grows in a tank and believe me it DOES grow all over the ocean as well, only difference is in the ocean there is but millions of organisms eating it hence not visible to us BUT is is there. Things like grabs, snails, urchins, tangs etc. live off these algae so it actually is normal. We just dont like it as it smuthers the corals when out of control. Please test your phosphate and tell us as this is the fuel for gha, now a reading of zero is not impossible as it gets trapped in the algae and only gets released once the algae dies off. Also do you have a cleaning crew in your tank LIKE turbo snails, hermit crabs etc. as they are vital to mow the lawn so to speak and they scavenge around the tank for algae, old food, die offs etc. and they do play a critical role in the upkeep of our mini reef systems as we cannot manually remove algae by hand LOL. So yes give us more info as doing a 100% water change helps little if the problem lies else where and could cause other major problems if not done correctly as bacteria lives in the water you removed and is now missing. Remeber if you add new LR to a system from a LFS that was not fully cured the die off on the rock fuels algae growth too, so if you need help we need the info to help you in the right direction, but you must remember this will not go away in 1 day and there is a process to follow. :whistling:

Last edited: 4 Jun 2011
  6. AndrévN

AndrévN

Not likely as it sounds like he did the water change to try and rid the system of gha, and remember it does not go away in 1 day it is a process. And by doing a 100% water change wouldn't fuel gha imo. It would have some other effects though depending on how he did it nico. If he left the rock dry for too long it would cause die off and then itll fuel GHA yes. Remember phophates is the fuel for gha and die off without control makes the nutrients, so does over feeding, wrong lighting and dirty water that contains phosphates used as top up water or used for water changes. GHA is natural occurence we just hate it. If you do not have a means of controlling the nutrients either biological, natural ie tangs, hermits snails or things like rowaphos then you bound to have loads of GHA. ;)

7. THATB GUY

THATB GUY Thread Starter

guys i am really new to this awsum hobby so i might not be too clued up on things that you mention but please bear with me...i did the water change because of algae...the tank stood empty for two days no rock or sand,the rock got left to dry (thinking that it might ''kill'' the algae),the sand was washed and the tank then got filled with RO3 water,there are some snails and three hermits,its a 4ft tank if that helps the metal halide is ''blue'' i got it from a electrical store near where i stay i dont know if thats maybe the cause but i cant see why it would be.

8. AndrévN

AndrévN

Water changes can lower nutrient levels Yes. But the way you did it actually made it worse. But all is not lost my friend just stick to the rules. The sand that you washed actually was a big mistake as you just washed out all the bacteria that helps with the nutrient reduction and your talk will recycle all over again, not a train smash but you just starting cycle again for the bacteria to develop. Algae is not wrong we just need to control it like ive mentioned above. Is the RO water clean and have it tested for TDS at a local fish shop. Ok but you do not need lights to be on in the cycling period, and we all gradually increase lighting periods as we progress during this process, and algae blooms during the cycling period is completely normal. NOW..... tell us more about your system and what equipment do you have.

Recent Posts