Tank Dimensions

Discussion in 'New Members' started by simonmcgill, 26 May 2011.

1. simonmcgill

simonmcgill

Hi Everyone

I am thinking of building a marine tank. The space I have is between my kitchen and lounge so the space to fill with the tank is long.

What hieght and width would you recommend for a 2.8m long tank. I was thinking 2.8mL x 1m H x 450W.

I am not sure if the width is too narrow to keep corals and to make the tank look natural.

Any advice.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. maxisoft

maxisoft

Wow... Hope you got plenty moola and plenty experience....

First thing you do is go buy good quality snorkel and mask so that you can get to the bottom of the tank..... While you at it, you might as well get scuba gear as well, then you can swim with the fishes....

I would widen to 800 and lower to 600. Then you will have a manageable tank with good depth perspective... Then you have to consider the engine room to house the filtration, sumps, skimmer, etc...

Good luck and welcome to MASA....

4. Tremayn

Tremayn

Welcome! Yes your tank is way to narrow! go 2800L x 1000 W and 600H. Water level at 550. Width is more important. A high tank has a lot of negatives ie you need long arms and more light. You also need a big sump

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

Also bare in mind that a decent protein skimmer for that size system will be costly and your lighting requirement will be high as well

6. simonmcgill

simonmcgill Thread Starter

Thanks very much. My wife said she would clean it if I built it. Hope she sticks to her word. My problem is I can not go much wider than 450mm width cause of the space but people tell me that this will not give the fish enough room to move turn around and to landscape properly with live rock.

I wanted to build up the rock on each side and leave the middle open do you think that could still work.

7. simonmcgill

The sump will be 2mL X 25cm W X 450 H. Should be big enough for the tank size I think?

8. Tremayn

Tremayn

450 wide is the width of a standard 4ft tank. Its really not nice mate. It will restrict you too much with scaping and eventually you will regret it. Rather try and make a plan to make it wider. You rather go shorter and make the tank wider

9. pXius

pXius

Thats size, you'll need R25 000+ if you intend on keeping corals, JUST to start up. (not including the corals or fish)

I don't want to scare you away, but there is allot more equipment needed vs a fresh water system.

For example, "live rock" which is a part of your filtration needs to be 10% of your water load as a rule of thumb, that tank is over 1000L.
    Thats 100Kg/s of live rock at R100-R120 a kilo.
    = R10 000 just for a part of your filtration. Even half that is still R5000...

Concerning width, I would not go smaller than 50cm, and highly recommended 60 to 80cm.

Please read these threads to get an idea of what equipment you'll need.

Starting a Marine Tank - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Starting a Marine tank - What to buy first - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

WELCOME TO MASA AND GOOD LUCK!!!! You've come to the right place to learn.

Last edited: 26 May 2011
  10. Tremayn

Tremayn

your sump has to be wide. you will need a big protein skimmer so you will be looking at a 65cm wide skimmer chamber in your sump

11. simonmcgill

Just another question is an in tank protein skimmer better than an in sump protein skimmer? Which one should I use for this size tank?

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, hope you enjoy it here with us.

13. simonmcgill

Thanks for the advice. I am glad I found this sight and forum before I ordered the tank.:)

14. Tremayn

Tremayn

no problem. With saltwater it makes your tank look narrow. My tank is 7cm wide and it does not look wide at all

15. pXius

pXius

Please read the threads I posted first, they will answer a lot of questions, and raise new ones.

As for skimmers:

3 types.

Hang on (hangs onto the tank).
    In sump, (goes in the sump)
    External, can be place next to the tank/sump/under your bed

The one you choose depends on the setup of your system. Not really a better or worse.

16. Tremayn

Tremayn

go for an in sump skimmer as it will free up space in your Display Tank and hang on the back skimmers are kak. The good ones are in sump or external. Do you have an idea of what kind of tank you want? Fish only or a reef with fish and corals?

17. simonmcgill

I would really like to do a fish and coral tank but the coral will come later. So I want to set it up for both from the beginning.

18. Tremayn

Tremayn

Have a look at the guys tanks then decide what corals and fish you want. You will also have an idea of what equipment you will need. Read the beginners threads as well. Then when you have an idea give us your game plan and we will help you with it :)

Recent Posts