Tank Developments & Advice Sought on Pregnant Shrimp

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Christy, 2 May 2011.

1. Christy

Christy

Hello!!

Here are some of the latest pictures from my now 10 week old tank... All seems stable and coming along well: The tank has a gobie and two shimps, along with a frogspawn coral, bubble coral, xenia, mushrooms (the one has had two babies) and a couple of zoa's... there are a few mystery crabs lurking about at night (but can't see any damage to the reef caused by them). Water has consistently tested fine on PH, Specific Gravity, Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrites...

HOWEVER: ... one of my shrimps appears to be pregnant. What can I do to provide the best possible environment for the lavae when they are born? How long until they hatch? Will they necessarily be fertilised eggs? What would the larvae eat? Will they all get sucked down into the protein skimmer to their doom?

Advice appreciated please!! :)

Thank-yoooooooo!!!!

Christy
    ---------------------

[​IMG]
    Bubble at night

[​IMG]
    Gordon the Gobie

[​IMG]
    Mushroom and Baby

[​IMG]
    Pregnant Shrimp

[​IMG]
    Shrimp

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

Christy, soory, I am no pro in Prawns/Shrimps- I only know how to eat them....lol

I do however want to comment on this pic- It is really an amazing pic. Well done.Something to be really proud of:

4. Christy

Christy Thread Starter

Thanks!!! ... Yes, it's really gorgeous, isn't it!! :)

Here are two more pictures, one during the day in bubble mode, and the other in the evening as it's changing over to night mode...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. seank

seank

Nice, what Camera and lens are you using??

6. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

the shrimps will need a dedicated rearing tank and as far as i know cleaner shrimps have not been bred in captivity yet, the only one they have been able to breed is sexy shrimp because their larval phase is much larger than the others.

Its unfortunately a loss one needs to take, at least the corals and fish get to have a nice snack.

Christy likes this.
  7. inflames

inflames

Hi Cristy,

Welcome to MASA! Nice start, so far! Just a heads up on "Gordon the goby", I have had a few of these and have decided not to get another, long term they do not do well in our tanks and slowly starve to death!

Some more pics of your setup would be great!:thumbup:

Christy likes this.
  8. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Agreed - stunning photo :thumbup:

Regarding the shrimp: their larvae go through quite a few molts/changes before eventually becoming baby shrimps. In the ocean, they become part of the plankton, and can float around for some months before settling out as shrimp. Unfortunately, in our tanks, their chance of surviving is remote:

• There are not sufficient quantity and type of food for the various intermediate stages
    • There is usually serious predation on the larvae - anything with a mouth even slightly larger than the babies will eat them (fish, corals, even the parent shrimps...)
    • Your skimmer will skim out the larvae, and any pump will likely hurt/kill them as well.
    I suggest that you see this as just a welcome feeding for your tank, and to not get your hopes up that any will survive. Having said that, I have heard of the odd one surviving in a very well matured sump, so I guess that there is always a chance...

Hennie

Christy likes this.
  9. Christy

Christy Thread Starter

... Actually it's a very old Canon Powershot G2 that I got in 2001 when digital was a baby. I really like it because they still had good lens quality then (F2.0-F2.5 Canon zoom lens with a focal range of 7 - 21 mm) ... they don't use such good lenses now that digital has improved.

The irritating thing is that it's not supported by Windows 7 it's so old so I have to use a card convertor which is a bit tedious. I'm cross with Canon for opting not to update the software. They think this will make me buy a new camera. If they end up being right, the camera won't be a Canon as punishment for their evil strategy.

10. seank

seank

Very true

:lol: :thumbup: Show them who's Boss :lol:

Recent Posts