Tank design

Reaction score
Ok one 1.8 m is NOT enough. I would like to do a DSB for my main display tank and I thought of running one in main display but that will work out very expensive, especially if we(yes you are all involved in this one!) aim for 12-15cm depth., plus I am not sold on the aesthetics of a DT DSB.

So I want to do, a wide long shallow tank of +- 1.2m by 800mm by 400-500mm which I can run a DSB in and combine as a frag farm. Place intense lighting and supply you buggers with corrals for free (wee man yours will be kept for when you get to sa….you know u are coming!)

. Also I would like to build three small chambers into the tank where I could specifically breed brine shrimp to over flow into the tank, down the over flow and into the main display tank. The adults being scooped and used as live food.

So kind of a three in one tank, and I am sure there are major limitations I have not thought of. Suggestions on why I should NOT do this would be greatly appreciatedJ

Sounds Very interesting. Good luck!!

Not sure on the brine shrimp idea though...Aren't there more to raising them?
The eggs are easy enough to hatch though...

What about some kind of phyto plankton thingy? Maybe you could use the same lighting... I've seens lots of DIY on phyto plankton farms aka coke bottles infront of lights...

Sounds interesting crispin! who are you going to get to build it?

sounds great,keep us posted with progress :)

You need to feed the brine babies, not the adults. The adults have no nutriental value.

I reckon a phytoplankton reactor would be a great idea if you want to feed your corals.

ok you guys are being NO help:) i need advice not ethusiastic support, although i do admit its very nice to hear:) i am playing with different ideas in mind and I will go have look at some weird tanks I have heard of, or contact guys who have them. Also i will get with some sponsors on here as I def want it buildt, and try get a few diagrams put together.

i'll keep you posted:)

i must say it sounds like a good way to "mature" a system faster and breed the critters i would like to see in my tanks for my fish and corrals to eat.

sounds bloody awesome crispin, imagine how many frags you could stack in such a huge frag tank!? + you get the benefits of a hufe DSB!!! very cool idea dude :thumbup:

very nice dude!

but the only problem with the eggs of brine shrimps is that if fish eat them they DIE!
The egg cant be digested by the fish.
Their is one way you can try it, i think it has something to do with vinegar that takes the upper layer off from the egg.
I have a artical of it somewhere i'll have a look.

lanzo mate, i only want to breed brine so fish eat them:) eggs or adults i dont care....they not as pretty as a mandarine so i dont think i want a display tank of them!:)

Also I would like to build three small chambers into the tank where I could specifically breed brine shrimp to over flow into the tank, down the over flow and into the main display tank. The adults being scooped and used as live food.
correct me if im wrong - but do you plan to have the brine shrimp chamber IN the display tank with an overflow running directly into the main tank? If this is the case, you will most likely have all the adult shrimp swimming into the tank immediatly, leaving none in the chamber to breed.

Their is one way you can try it, i think it has something to do with vinegar that takes the upper layer off from the egg
vinegar will soften the egg casing and make them hatch faster. You can also soak them (briefly) in dilute bleach or freshwater. When they change colour to a light orange/brown you can transfer them to salt water. And they need light to hatch as well.

Would the water from a brine hatchery really be the best medium to grow sps frags? i think a separate section would be better really.

lanzo mate, i only want to breed brine so fish eat them:) eggs or adults i dont care....they not as pretty as a mandarine so i dont think i want a display tank of them!:)

if they hatch, the egg stays behind(empty), and if fish eat it they die.

IMO the brineshrimp hatchery aren't a good idea , rather use a 2L cike bottle and hatch them from that and then only add the hatched brine shrimp(without any eggs)

Back
Top Bottom