Tank design, please help

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Fishman, 12 Feb 2012.

1. Fishman

Fishman

Hi guyz. I've been a member for a while, had 3 marine tanks, i know over a dozen fish by their scientific names but i still regard myself as a beginner. None of my tanks were a success but i learnt a whole lot each time. Thanks to masa and the sponsors for teaching most of what i know.

Anyway im planning a new tank but this time i wanna do everything right. So i need some help regarding tank design. Dimensions 900 x 500 x 300. Was thinking of a corner overflow with durso. Return, not sure. Bare bottom because i hate detritus and i want a clean tank. I'll have a sun sun vibration pump or seio prop for flow in the tank. I need options for the return. I'd like to keep 5 small fish and maybe a carpet of gsp or blue cloves. I'd like my outlet and return to be drilled on the bottom so i can put the tank as close to the wall as possible. I have a ts1 skimmer and i was hoping to get away with just a phos reactor. I want a smallish sump because i want space for wires etc. Will it work? Am i missing something? I don't mind if it takes me a year to complete. And like most i have a tight budget :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

First and most important question is what type of corals do you wan to keep. That will point you into the type of equipment needed. SPS, high end lights like in MH. Softies can go with T5.

If you can make the sump bigger, it will be better. One day you want to add another reactor.

And use the Google Search MASA function. Loads of information is available

4. Fishman

Fishman Thread Starter

Just soft corals. And only about 2 types. GSP or Blue clove polyps (clavularia) and may 1 type of zoanthids. Thinking of t5. Will 2 39w suffice or should i rather get 3, im worried about the spread of light. I want to suspend the light above the tank. From what i understand the coral i intend keeping are some of the hardier and less demanding types. So will the proposed filtration be sufficient? Could/should i replace the reactor with macro algae?

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Rather 4 with reflectors.

6. Fishman

Fishman Thread Starter

And filtration?

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I like a DSB.
    How much space do you have for a sump?

8. Fishman

Fishman Thread Starter

My stand is the exact size of the tank. My sump wont sit on the ground, i raised it by about 150mm off ground so i can siphon detritus if i need to. Whats the best to take care of po4?

9. Fishman

Fishman Thread Starter

I should've named the thread 'system design' please help. Anyway im thinking of working from the sump upward. So my first decision will be whats in my sump then i can decide on a size. So there's the ts1. And i need something to take care of Po4. Reactor, ats, dsb, any ideas/experiences?

Recent Posts