Tank design - advice?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Waterman, 13 Feb 2012.

1. Waterman

Waterman

Hi everyone,

I’m working on a design for a tank, so I just thought I’d ask for any tips, comments, criticisms, advice on my current design from you knowledgeable people… :thumbup1:

Outside dimensions (all mm) are 1700 long, 650 wide, 677 high and water level is 65 down from the top. Volume 630 litres. Glass is 12 thick, giving a FOS of around 3.2 I believe. Bracing at the top on the long side, not on the width as that FOS is 4.6. Bracing all round the bottom. All bracing 50 wide, and also 12 thick. Should the top bracing be double thick?

The overflow is 300 wide, draining via a Durso Standpipe of 32 and the second pipe is straight and acts as an emergency in case the first gets blocked, also 32 OD, with a 1.5 wall thickness. Flow will be around 1600 litres/hour. I’m still working on the sump design but it will have a trickle chamber.

The display tank will be a heavily planted freshwater setup, and will have a C02 and a reactor. Jajaja, I know, but I know the salt water people have a bucket full of knowledge and experience and hence I’m here.. :blush: (the water level has been indicated with a darker blue as that is just a surface, not a solid like the rest of the model)

Hit me, please :whistling:

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

On 1.7m long, I would add a centre brace and side braces, from the front to back.

Also the overflow panel, with a slot cut out, will be a lot weaker, especially in the corners of the slot. Rather enlarge the box to the full width of the tank, or lower that side and use little small squares on top.

The bracing you have there, is it 100mm wide?
    Why not place the bracing right at the top edge?

Lastly, look at Builders warehouse, for a soil vent valve. can use it as is as a Durso, just take out the rubber washers inside.

Enjoy your build
    PS. Why not build it so that it is marine ready? Maybe...

4. Waterman

Waterman Thread Starter

Ok, was wondering about a centre brace, and will look into some bracing on the sides. I made the bracing 50mm wide, is that too narrow? I’d imagine it’s ok, but I could be very wrong. :whistling:

I disagree. :p Pressure = ρgh. With ρ being constant (roughly 1000 for fresh water) and the gravitational constant also constant at 9.81 only the head can affect pressure. And the pressure at the first few centimeters of the tank down is minimal, with maximum being at the bottom, naturally. So even though there would be stress concentrations on the corners I can round that out, and the pressure is still nothing compared to what is experienced at the bottom. I’m just not certain the additional cost of getting that cut will be worth it – I have not looked for quotes, yet.

I’ll have a look at that soil vent valve. Thanks for much for the input! Much appreciated. :thumbup: Indeed, more than likely it will go marine in the next while (1, 2, 3 years), but for now I’m trying to keep costs down (<- the main reason), and the fact that when I go away I don’t have anyone trustworthy to keep an eye on things.

Recent Posts