Tank Cycle

Reaction score
I would like to know how many times does a tank cycle???? Only once and that is it, or does it go through mini cycles as well during the duration/lifespan of the tank????

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Sean - as far as I know, the tank CAN go through mini-cycles. Each tank is different. BUT, I have indeed heard of tanks that have gone through mini-cycles even though nothing has specifically changed by the reefkeeper....
BUT, as far as I know, there's no specific pattern to this..

Reaction score
I have noticed more than one cycle in my tank but not sure. Will tag and see what the others say. Thanks Jacques

Reaction score
ok thats what im getting now both of them but my tank is runing for almost 2 weeks not yet and new lights almost a week..i mixd all my water with ro so thers not sepose to be phosfates...why im asking i hate cleaning the glass.

Reaction score
dude if your tanks been running for 2 weeks you can expect to wait anouther 4weeks or so. i waited nearly 3 months before live stock was add except for my clown.

my water was in check after 3weeks but i think its better lo leave it for longer. this give the tank time to mature before any fish are add that may eat your goga's and bring there population down

Reaction score
you guys are all mad... i added corals to my nano the moment it was at 25deg.... no issues... a week later i added a nenny....

Reaction score
LR that i got from my LFS... its got to do with:

a) the water volume... if i add 40 clown to my 2500L system on the same day everything else nothing is going to happen to them as the total volume will water down any waste.

b) i believe that corals are MUCH hardier than what we give them credit for. like i said i added Zoos on day 2 and a BTA on day 6 or 7... no issues.

The problem comes in when you add fish to a new system using skimmers that to small and a smaller water volume....