Tank Crash

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by WINEGUMS, 23 May 2011.

1. WINEGUMS

WINEGUMS

Hi all

Often on threads someone warns about a possible tank crash. As someone new to the hobby this is obviously my biggest fear! Would it be possible for those with a little more experience & knowledge to give hints & tips on what commonly goes wrong?

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. WINEGUMS

WINEGUMS Thread Starter

It could help all newbies be a little more prepared.:)

4. Evo R

Evo R

You can have a crash/total wipe out if:

You over stock your tank and your filtration can't handel the load.Its the same as reving your car all the way in the red.Doing it once or twice will have no effect on the motor but do it no-stop for a hour or so and chances are you'll blow the motor.

Having a nennie or two wondering around in your tank and your tank is not nennie proof' and your nennie gets sucked in the flow pump and ripped to shreds and poisons your whole tank.

You clean your glass with mistermin or window lean and some of the chemicals gets into your system.

these are just some of the things that can riun your day very quickly!!

5. Quintus

Quintus the irish aXeman

tagging:)

6. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Tank crashes can come from a few things, and if I miss one please add guys

1) Overstocking too fast. As a rule of thumb, one should add one fish every second week to your system. Fish eat, and they pooh, so they add to your biological load. If you add one fish, it will give your filtration time to catch up. If you add 10 large fish at once for example, then your filatration cannot cope, your paramaters go bonkers and your system can crash. I know there are alot of variables in this statement, but in short, this is the concept.

2) Old Tank Syndrome. This when you stick with the same amount of fish, coral etc for a long time. You do not change a thing, not even regular water changes. Your bacteria in your tank start living on their own kind, and they die off. This then also causes the tank parameters to go bonkers, and the system crashes. To prevent this, do regular water changes, add / remove stock every few months / weeks.

3) Overfeeding. If you feed too heaviliy, the system can crash due to water parameters fluctuating.

In essence then, a system crash is when your parameters get so unstable, that it cannot recover, and then it cuases loss of livestock.

Please correct me if I am wrong guys, but this is my understanding of it.

7. WINEGUMS

WINEGUMS Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Evo R! Are you speaking from experience?

8. Jaco Schoeman

Oh yes, and poisonous stock like Evo said. Things like slugs, nennies, box fish etc.

9. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Most common and likely is power failure.

10. Evo R

Evo R

LOL Jaco good point, i actualy forgot about.

Some animals like boxfish, have a special defence built in.When stressed or threathend they release a deadly toxin that can kill your other live stock.

So caution must be taken when you buy new fish ect as although they are very pretty....they can be deadly.

11. Jaco Schoeman

Yes, pretty much the redox potential drops (waters ability to transport oxygen) which causes your Alkalinity to waiver. The knock on effect is your pH gets unstable, and all other parameters follow. Heat is not the biggest cause of death in power failures, oxygen depletion is. That is why a battery operated airpump saves tanks, like my tank yesterday after a 5 hour powerfailure...;)

12. Evo R

Evo R

And to put toxins and "poisons"(high nitrite,nitrate and amonia) into beter perspective....

Lets say you and 9 of your buddies are at the dam and you all drank too much beer and need to take a leak.You all line up and pee in the dam at the same time.
    Now go and drink some of the dam water,the idea is gross but i can promise you, you won't even taste any difference!!

Now do the same excersize in a bath tub with all ten okes taking a leak in the same tub full of water.Now when you drink from that water your more than likely going to be spending time praying to the toilet gods and calling georges name:p

In small volumes of water bad toxins(no2 , no3 and po4) faulls the water very quickly and can poison your live stock.

Hopoe this explanation made sense.

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Mostly, either extended power failures,

or

dosing system that buggered out, including Auto top ups, Kalkwasser and slaked lime, or a bottle of iodine or any other automated system that went Terminator on you.

or

crap heaters that boil water when they get stuck

or

Anemones, Sea Hares, Cucumbers, Sea Apples or any other beautiful highly toxic creature that goes into an unprotected power head.

14. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i think the day to day stuff is pretty much covered above.

Dont forget your tank is most likley to crash when you are away on holiday so special contingencies need to be in place.

Someone who knows something about fish is 1st class but in the case that there is no such person available i would

limit dosing of chemicals to a minimum if at all if you are not there to oversee.

Prepack food to be fed in bank bags for the portions to be fed per day. people who dont keep fish feel sorry for them and often give extra and this leads to problems

I would also suggest topping up with RO be done manually if you are away. get someone to come in and take from buckets of water you have prepared and draw a maximum line with koki where the water must be filled up to in the sump..

the list is endless..

especially if you are away..

15. Evo R

Evo R

Touch wood no.But have heard many horror stories of small stupid things like the above that makes one think.

Recent Posts