Tank cracks

Reaction score
Hey guys

The weekend I wanted to add the extra base supports to ym 4FT L tank.
After remiving the substrate I noticed two big cracks in the bottom :(

The tank has a double base and is not leaking.
The tank only had water on it for 2 days

I have contacted the LFS, but no response so far.

If they refuse to fix it on their costs, how can I fix it on my own?

Would putting another pane of glass over the cracked parts help at all?

I am so dissapointed :( I wanted to get the tank started this week.

Damn, that's really bad news, see what the lfs say before you try anything, even if the refuse to mend it free they would still be the best people to mend it.

lappiesreef don't feel bad, my tanks support has cracked, wrong dimensions on new one, sent back base cracked in transport ect ect. Oh and im STILL waiting for my tank, going to take a total off 4 weeks to get it, aka 2 weeks from now...

Thats bad storm

Iwaited about 4 weeks for them to build mine in the forst place...

Thats wee man. I'm not sure I want them to touch it again if they made a stuff-up form the beginning....

Ive had a 120L crack, we cut a new piece off glass and siliconed it on the inside off the tank over the crack, once you got substrate over it you don't even realise its there. Tanks been going for 5months.

Thanks storm. I think I'll try that if the LFS ignores me...

Luckly it is a double base that will be resting on shutterply so as long as I can plug it form leaking it should be fine... I was wonderitng how those pond sealers would work?

You would need to stop the crack from spreading, i have seen this done (by a pro) twice, what they do is to drill right on the end of the crack, this stops it going further, then add a new base/patch with silicone over the crack.

Thats wee man. I'm not sure I want them to touch it again if they made a stuff-up form the beginning....
I honestly don't think it was the LFS's fault that your tank cracked, you didn't have a base under the tank, you then filled it with water, all of this extra weight and with the tank just being on 3 or 4 cross members on the stand, would have caused the base to crack.

You say it is a double base, which pane of glass is cracked, the top one or the bottom one?

Hi Viper.

It was the top pane. The LFS told me not to put a base support!

Thing is my sump built by someone else is on the same frame, without a support with a single base and there are no cracks on it...

The one crack runs across side to side in the corner of one leg of the L, while the other is in the corner part of the L where the overflow is.

Just a quick question. Are you sure it's not the the silicon that looks like a crack. I've experienced this before and was quite embarassed when the person I bought it from came out and saw it was actually the silicon lines that looked like crack lines.

Hi Aw

How is the Lion doing?

Nah, I'm sure these are cracks. The one is traight through the glass. You can feel it with your finger :(

At least I ahve my Nano to play with while I sort it out ;)

Damn.

The lion has gone into hiding. Will see today if he is swimming around.

Don't worry Aw, he'll come round.

I was feeding him krill woth foreseps :) You'll see him come up to the surface feeding time...

He is a drama queen though. If you don't feed him he will ignore you...

Back to the base story, I certainly would not run a tank without a base of wood and high density polystyrene. Is the tank level when sitting on the stand?
You certainly can patch a crack in the base without problems, but please make sure the tank, stand are level before filling, very important if you want to sleep at night.

Thank you Alan

I believe it is level. It looked that way when it had water in it...
I'll take a spirit level and make sure though...

Any specific method you would reccommend to patch something like that?
Remember my tech level are very low...so more glue and less drilling steps if possible :whistling:

Would those membrae pond sealr stuff do the trick?
With that I can seal the whole bottom of the tank so it becomes one water tight unit that can take some pressure and movement...?

I would silicone another pane of glass cut to size across the entire base on the inside. I wouldn't use a pond sealer just silicone.

guys if the shop refuses to replace something within a reasonable time frame theres some SERIOUS consumer law in SA. I strongly suggest you go to your credit card company and report a fraudulant sale as the shop didnt hold they part of the sale. Unless you signed a contract saying you forgo any warrenty on the glass you can nail them

Back
Top Bottom