Urgent help needed Tank cracked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HELP

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by dean, 13 Feb 2010.

1. dean

dean

After I moved my tank to make way for my bigger tank, 4 hours later it cracked!!!!! Ive placed the fish into a bucket with a heater and powerhead aswel as the corals. Im going to go and fetch the larger tank today but i need to know whether i can house the fish in the new tank. I know it is supposed to cycle and that was the plan before the old tank cracked. I really need help on this one as i dont want to loose any of my lifestock. Ive saved about 85% of the established tanks water which adds up to +-170l. The new tank that im getting will be 324l. Not going to run the sump as it will make it another 150l. Please help:(:(:(

Can i fill the tank up which should be like doing a 50% water change or should i just fill it up with the water i have and add more over a period of time????

The only problem i have with filling it up with the water a have is that i used a HOB skimmer on the old tank and im afraid that the intake will not be long enough to reach the water level as it short.

If anybody can give me any ideas it will really be appreciated.....

Thanks Dean

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

sorry to hear Dean - your best bet is to use your old tanks water and slowly increase the water volume to the level where the skimmer can work - or is there no way to make a temporary stand for skimmer can be raised as the water level increases? Also why not get the sump running?

4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I can't see a problem with adding 50% water. The thing is the extra made up salt water needs to mix for about 24h, and be the same temp and salinity than the current water.
    Put the fish in the new tank with the current water and add the new water slowly. Let it mix/run for a few hours then add the sump water.
    It's all about matching the salinity and temp and a big waterchange is a good thing as you will dilute any nutrients that are present - if any.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

have you got any LR in your existing setup? it is very important to preserve the LR (this is where all the bacteria will be) and as much of the existing water water as possible.

when i bring fish back from kei i put 1 piece of LR in each bucket containing the fish i have caught with an airstone and they can live this way for some time provided you dont overload.. i have done the same thing when i moved and kept my fish in a 85lt container with only LR and a skimmer for circulation for almost 3 months..

monitor your water as though it were your tank and keep lighting cycles the same for your corals...

water changes will be necessary..

6. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Fill up the tank with existing water and freshly made up water, move everything into the new tank and try and get hold of Seachem stability or Microbacter7 and dose to help kill of Amonia.

7. dean

dean Thread Starter

thanks for all the replies!!!just sorted out everything now!! i was suprized to find that the tank i had made was a bit bigger than i thought but what the hell, the bigger the better!!! nway all my livestock seem to be doing ok!!! wil probably only see 2moro if there was any damage!!! thanks again for the replies!!!

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Good to hear, just monitor and keep us updated.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. dean

dean Thread Starter

Just an update! All my inhabitants are perfect!!eating and going on as if nothing happened!! Thanks again for the help!!

10. crispin

crispin

great to hear dean :) but watch those parameters carefully i dont think you are out the woods yet and youd do well to have RO on stand by (i would have a heater in a ro bucket so that temp is the same if you have to do a rapid water change), IF things go southwards, they go fast, so watch carefully and test often!

but great to hear that 1 things have survived so far and 2 you have a bigger tank :)

Recent Posts