Tank Cover

moz

Reaction score
Looking at getting some purple firefish (Nemateleotris decora), anybody got suggestions on covering an open top tank, I was thinking of something like eggcrate, how does eggcrate hold up to the heat from MH’s, will enough light get through and will it lower the chance of fish jumping out?

Eggcrate will defineatly diffuse light, that's what it was designed to do.

Decora are normally shy fish and tend to hide in crevices near the bottom of the tank.

Eggcrate will defineatly diffuse light, that's what it was designed to do.

Thanks, but how will the diffusion effect the light available for photosynthesis and viewing?

Decora are normally shy fish and tend to hide in crevices near the bottom of the tank.

Damn I was hoping their behavior would be similar to Nemateleotris magnifica who I believe spend quite a bit of time in open water.

Last edited:
Thanks, but how will the diffusion effect the light available for photosynthesis and viewing?

cant give you percentages, but it will cut out some light. Also you will have to watch how close it id to Metal Halides, as it will melt. 20cm or more and it will be fine.

Damn I was hoping their behavior would be similar to Nemateleotris magnifica who I believe send quite a bit of time in open water.

The only time I ever see mine is at feeding time for a few minutes :(

For a cover, how about a clear piece of perspex or similar material with a lot of small holes drilled into it, almost like a perspex net?

or you could build up the the tank, so that the cant jump over the edge. you couls use perspex or glass

Hi Moz - Unfortunately do I not think that any tank over would really be good enough.
You have the following to look at:
- heat from MH's
- water evaporation to decrease water heat
- air/oxygen exchange
- salt-spray/creep
- light diffusion (blocking off light from the corals)
- etc.

I think that if you tank is deep enough, and you have enough hiding places, your fire-gobies will never jump. I have one and mine comes out, but never jumps.

If you water flow is strong enough, they won't jump either....

Just my little bit of input....

Thanks Jacques. Now I'll just have to decide if to take the risk.

Back
Top Bottom