Tank conversion

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Gemma, 21 Aug 2008.

1. Gemma

Gemma

I have decided that I will convert my west coast cold water tank to a tropical marine fish only. I love triggers with the way they look and swim. The display tank is about 1200x450x450 with a 3ft sump.
    Does having a fish only tank mean that one will get no growth in display tank because the fish (in this case triggers) would eat it? Does one still have a DSB in sump?
    I was thinking of taking out the zebra, mullet, gobie, anenomies, crabs etc from the cold setup, and then just put in a heater to get +-26 and let it cycle for sometime (how long?) before adding tropical marine fish. I have beach sand and broken shells in DSB. Can this stay in, if one has DSB for fish only?
    Also what other fish and or animal life will go with triggers?:slayer:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

Hi Gemma and welcome!! Please keep the DSB in the sump but remove the shells from the display as this could cause Phosphates and high Nitrates as they will trap detritus over time! What other type of filtration do you have on this setup, seeing as Triggers can be messy fish! I believe you will be able to keep some softies etc as Triggers are more notorious for eating crustaceans, that said care must still be taken with corals. Also in this size tank I would recommend you keep the slower growing ones like the Picasso otherwise others like the clown will outgrow the tank very quickly! You will be able to keep other hardy fish that will be able to stand their own, most true groupers will do just fine. As for the Cycle I would recommend at least 6 weeks!

4. nic3322

nic3322 regal tang

not much of a conversion all you need is a heater

5. Gemma

Gemma Thread Starter

Mtroboer.
    I have a protein skimmer in the sump with the display having a corner overflow that drips thru a bag of shells and coral pieces. Should i get rid of this bag?
    What other filtration should i have?

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Gemma - all you really need for filtration, is the following:
    - skimmer (which you have)
    - DSB
    - macro algae scrubber (some macro algae ie chaetomorpha)

With a fish only, the phosphates and high nitrates is not a problem specifically for the fish, but you will most likely get VERY unsightly nuisance hair algae or even bryopsis algae growth, in the display tank.

I too would suggest a cycling time of at leat 4 to 6 weeks. BUT - you can always measure your tank's water parameters. If you have already achieved 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and VERY low nitrates, then you don't have to worry about the cycling....
    BUT, if you are going to be stirring up the display tank, by replacing the broken sea shells (which I too would do - as e.g. playsand just works and looks FAR FAR better), then you would most likely need to cycle again, as the crap that will be released into the water, WILL cause ammonia/nitrite/nitrate spikes....

Good luck, and please post some pics and keep us updated!

7. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi gemma...what are you planning on doing with your cold water livestock? if you have any fish that need a new home, id be more than happy to take them off your hands

8. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

Gemma please post some pics of your coldwater tank before dismantling it!!! Pretty please?!:slayer:

9. Gemma

Gemma Thread Starter

I have posted pictures some weeks, or months, back under general discussions I think.
    459b
    I have about 6 mullet (60-80mm), one zebra (50mm), +-7 shrimps, +-7hermit crabs, 4-5 anenomes (red, white and a speckled orange).
    I won't be packing it in any time soon, as we are going to be doing house alterations untill december and won't have time untill next year. Won't have money either untill then. I will post if and when I am ready to pack up. Who knows, plans might change sooner.
    P.s I stay in Northern suburbs in C.T.

10. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

i also have a zebra, about 2cm in lenght. Also have shrimp, hermits, about 20 anemones etc. Was hoping you had some cool water buterflies.
    How far north do you stay? i live in durbanville?

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Gemma - how about an update on your tank conversion?

12. Gemma

Gemma Thread Starter

I haven't started conversion yet. We have started building work to our house which will keep me busy untill december hols. I will probably just empty tank for now and leave untill next year when the additions are finished. At the moment the tank stands in my entrance hall and is seen very little, so when I convert I want to move it to TV/Living room so It'll be seen more often.
    459b I unfortunately don't have any cold water butterflies but understand them to be difficult to keep.

Recent Posts