Tank Conditions for Frags

Discussion in 'Fragging Corals' started by Neil H, 10 Oct 2008.

1. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi Guys

In terms of specific parameters for optimal growth of frags... does anyone have experience or possible further reading on the optimal conditions for specific corals?

For example if i were to set up a frag tank specifically for softies or better still, a specific type of softy .... a leather or a muchroom for example, would i change the tank parameters (from the generally accepted display tank parameters) .... ??

would i intensity the lighting or raise the temperature? or chang some other parameter?

Is there a definitive guide somewhere to optimal water parameters for each type of coral which would allow one to create species specific frag tank conditions?????

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Moolis Moolman

Moolis Moolman Pet Stop SA Sponsor

Every optimal guide will still have the drawback of not telling you where in nature the coral was collected from. That include country, salinity, current and location -water quality and depth (light received)- to get this is nearly imposable (except if you collect it yourself:nono:) so you need to read as much as possible BUT still experiment with each coral to find its specific needs.

Sorry not the short and sweet answer you asked for.

4. Neil H

Neil H Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

thanks for the feedback...

For those with experience in this sort of thing, is there a school of thought that says species specific tanks would do better than biologically diverse tanks? Again, I am only referring to frag tanks, not display tanks ...

5. Moolis Moolman

Moolis Moolman Pet Stop SA Sponsor

Mono Cultures

My experience with mono cultures was GREAT, when compared with mixed (even same group). But space and other restraints dose not always make it possible, otherwise i will only run mono cultures from a single specimen.

M2C

Recent Posts