Tank Burst

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by JDV, 10 Feb 2012.

1. JDV

JDV

Hi all

So I came home yesterday afternoon “16:00”, walking past my tank I hear noises coming from it. Only the DT tank is full of water started filling it on Monday “+-200L” I just need to fill the sump still then it’s all systems go, or so I thought.
    I had a power head in the tank to cycle the water until I can switch on all the pumps. So I switched of the power head and the funny noise goes away anyway thinking to myself it is a second hand power head its ok. So starting to make supper and in between making supper I finished the plumbing for my skimmer. I put the skimmer in the sump and stand back looking all impress with myself everything is now all connected just fill the sump and switch on its now “16:20” . O wait I forgot the ADT guy was supposed to come to me to give quotations and stuff at 16:30. 16:25 the phones ring ADT guy lost. Explained to him how to get to me put the phone down, as I press the red button the tank burst at the back on the seam. (1/4 tank drained under 5min) In matter of seconds I uttered some swear words the ones I am normally not allowed to say when the wife is around or in special occasions like this. And the same time the ADT guys stops in front of the house. Anyway between me the ADT guy and my Father which lives 5min down the road which I phoned to come and help we got the tank empty no damage to the house or furniture as I moved it the moment the tank bust and most of our furniture is made out of wood. So the big clean-up took about an hour and a half all before the wife got home all back the way it was like nothing happened. 19:30 wife got home told her the store not impress not the tank needs to get a new place living room is now no go. 20:25 time to update MASA get my laptop out switch on invalid system disk ***, reboot comes up, thinking it’s may be just the bios forgetting the boot priority. Opened MASA website black screen laptop frozen, reboot again check event log dis errors starting 08:27 drive #^&$* so yes that was my day yesterday.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

poor bugger, any idea why it went? how was it braced how old was the tank / glue? sorry for the mission but its all part of the parcel when becoming a reefer,

4. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

Hi, it is braced on top with 10mm brasses, 6mm glass, tank is 1200x450x450. It was siliconed, it split opened in the middle back where the bottom and back panel meet about 10cm split. I bought the tank new in December, Will take it back to the LFS tomorrow. I have no idea why it spilt it only had salt water in it.

5. K_ONE

K_ONE

How was your supper?

6. JohnDoe

JohnDoe

Shame man, hope you bounce back quick after this setback.

7. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

lol- I brought it to work for lunch today

8. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

I am just glad it happend when I was at home.

9. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

Spoke to the LFS now they are going to fix the tank for me and reinforce it.

10. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:eek:..:eek:...one of my worst nightmares...!! Thank you'r lucky stars it happened without any livestock..losing all you'r Livestock must surely be the worst EVER...

11. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

Hi Belinda, I told my wife the something last night. Can you image +- 50l in less than 5min the livestock would not have chance of surviving I would have been hard broken.

12. pXius

pXius

If my tank bursts today. I'm out of the hobby.

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Is there bracing around the bottom of the tank as well? Seems that the surface area available for the silicone to bond to is not enough.

And it is better that the tank split before anything else was added.

14. Tremayn

Tremayn

ah sorry man!

15. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

Nope no bracing at the bottom, I spoke to the LFS this morning I going to take the tank back tomorrow he’s going to fit the bracing for me, but this is actually the part that gets to me this LFS exist for years now, I had two of these tanks when I was still living at home bought at the same store I never had any problems with them, why now? Also don’t these LFS guys know by now where to put the braces. How much extra can it cost to put them in to be on the safe side? Why does the tank have to burst before they will put it in for you? It’s amazing :banghead:

16. leslie hempel

That size tank in 6mm can hold without base bracing I know this from having a bigger tank braced on the same principal running for 10 years but it did split in the same place in Its 11th year but luckily/unluckily after I sold it.

It could be a cleaning ofersight which I am leaning towoards as if all the turps from the cutting process is not removed before gluing it will never adhere for a long period. Can take a few days of pressure but it will split within a week normally.

I now only build tanks in 10mm and its led me into far less trouble than when I built with thinner sizes, overspec is the way to go when dealing with a glass vessel holding pressure :)

17. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

Yip I think you are right about the turps it only lasted, 3 days.

18. leslie hempel

sounds like it was a monday morning or friday afternoon tank to me....

19. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

lol - so true

20. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

Tell me guys, Do you guys suggest the lfs should put bottom brasses on the sides as well or is front and back ok? I would like to get my story straight, I don’t trust LFS’s.

21. mandarinman

mandarinman

Yes put botom braces in

Recent Posts