Tank builder needed

Reaction score
Hi all

My father in law must have been feeling bad about something as I said to him a while back that I wanted to build a new tank but keep the cabnet. And last night a guy pitched up at my house with cut glass to the size I was talking about.

The size I wanted was 1200(L) x 450(w) x 700(H) would these measurements be ok as one of the petshops told me it was to high.

And then finally if the measurements are fine are there any builders amungst us reefers that wont charge me a arm and a leg for the project

Tank builder

Hi there buddy

I have a number for you and he is brilliant, his name is James. He is cheap my friend, but very professional :thumbup: and builds tanks for a company. His number is 082 630 3237. You can just tell him you where revered by me and hell have you up and running in no time. He however does this over weekends, he has a permanent job, so be patient.

Hi all

My father in law must have been feeling bad about something as I said to him a while back that I wanted to build a new tank but keep the cabnet. And last night a guy pitched up at my house with cut glass to the size I was talking about.

The size I wanted was 1200(L) x 450(w) x 700(H) would these measurements be ok as one of the petshops told me it was to high.

And then finally if the measurements are fine are there any builders amungst us reefers that wont charge me a arm and a leg for the project

Hi there Pete,
Im new to this but i have a number for you, the guys name is James and does this for a living, but he will sort you out in no time and he is not expensive at all, but professional and been doing this for many years at various companies. He has done work for me. His number is 082 630 3237, he will only do this on weekends as he has a permanent job.

Thalion would have liked to go wider but ja cant do the orig tank is 400 high so I think 300 more shouldnt be to bad to clean have got long arms:lol:

Lighting will be up graded too that would have been my next question have 4 4ft t5s in the orig tank what would I have to put in the new one

You don't state the thickness of the glass. The higher the water level, the thicker the glass must be - for a water height of 650mm and a safety factor of 3.8 (recommended value) you need a side glass thickness of 12mm, with the bottom glass being 18mm thick!

If the tank will be well protected (i.e. built into a cabinet) and standing on a very strong stand with minimal deflection (such as a concrete slab), you should be safe with 10mm thick glass for the sides and 12mm glass on the bottom, as long as you keep the water level below 630mm AND you use euro-bracing top and bottom.

Hennie

The important thing is that there must be minimal flexing (deflection) of the support below the tank - in other words the support must deflect less than the glass, in order to support the glass.

Will a tank that size be fine on let say tiles

Only if the tiles are supported by something with minimal deflection, such as (again...) a concrete slab. The problem with tiles is that they are rather small, and there could be movement between the individual tiles if they are nor well supported on a rigid base. Also, they will need to be placed within very tight tolerance to ensure that they are all on the same horizontal level, to prevent a point load (from one higher tile) from cracking the glass.

Hennie

hey pete if you are up for it i can help you build your tank, I've built 4 already.

it's not rocket science, i'll tell you what to do, and you build;)

thanks Hennie will take that into consideration.

Lanzo thanks bud let you know and get a couple of these :peroni: for us to suck on while we do it

Back
Top Bottom