Tank Build

Reaction score
So, I’m considering building a tank to meet my desired specifications.

but where to start? Where to get the glass. Where to get the glass cut. How to calculate the needed cutting dimensions?

any pointers will be appreciated

I normally buy my glass at PG Glass, you can tell them what size panels you want and how thick you want the glass panels

Try rene turck in boksburg. I got glass from them last year to fix a tank it was polised and belved all around. Low iron 10mm thick.
If I google them, they are no longer in business. Can be wrong though.

Ive requested a quote from Northern Glass and Hardware in Pretoria

Northern glass workmanship is over the top. They made our custom glass tea table. 12mm low iron and Beveled edges.

Send me your email address, I made a spreadsheet that will calculate glass costs costs, volumes, water changes etc.

If I google them, they are no longer in business. Can be wrong though.

Ive requested a quote from Northern Glass and Hardware in Pretoria
Thanks man I didn't even know they gone out of business. Explines why they didn't answer my queries

Last edited:
I bought 15mm clear float glass from Northern Hardware and Glass in November 2019 . Used it to build a custom frag system for my brother in law. They are really proffesioinal and helpful, I even had an issue where they mismeasured one of my panels and they redid a new one for me in a day.

So, I’m considering building a tank to meet my desired specifications.

but where to start? Where to get the glass. Where to get the glass cut. How to calculate the needed cutting dimensions?

any pointers will be appreciated
Are you still going to be building this tank?

Hey guys I've been so busy that I've just clean forgot. I just tried uploading and it doesn't allow xls file extensions... @hotdog83 is there a workaround for this?

Hmm, that is a good question. Can you by any chance upload to Google Docs and see if it works if you share from there perhaps?

This really helps thanks. I used that website to calculate the dimensions of the tank that I want to build and it said that the glass must be 14mm thick. Is that correct? I have never had such a large tank so not sure what the glass thickness should be.

This really helps thanks. I used that website to calculate the dimensions of the tank that I want to build and it said that the glass must be 14mm thick. Is that correct? I have never had such a large tank so not sure what the glass thickness should be.
How high is the tank going to be? Also rimless or braced?

I’m wanting to build the following dimensions 2400w x 750h x 700d with the water level at 700. Apparently it will have to be braced which I don’t mind.

Back
Top Bottom