Tank build gone sour

Sorry about the situation Les - Keep the relationship open and this customer will be back because the LFS will only build the tank and thereafter he will need alot of advice and help. This customer will be back and jus tell him you will offer him all the help you can. What does it cost to build a tank of this size in 15mm glass? If it is done in 15mm do you still need euro bracing?

so he wants to spend money on a super tank but get fish for free:whistling:? Really does not make sense that you want to spend 10000's and just rush the livestock in.

so he wants to spend money on a super tank but get fish for free:whistling:? Really does not make sense that you want to spend 10000's and just rush the livestock in.
some guys like catching their own fish ........
but either way u right abt rushing and adding stock to a "new" tank

Thank you for the input guys. Does anyone know about the liquidation process? Like how to go about claiming? I have been given a contact but hes not answering his phone right now.

Hi Leslie

Who did you pay the money to, the rep or AGI Africa Glass? Do the rep work for AGI Africa Glass or for a local glass company?

Sorry to read about this. I had my own business for about 10 years and it's this type of knock that really gets a person down.

I have seen a reeftank in Roodepoort same size in 10mm running for 8 years before it was shut down. Make sure you have enough bracing and cross bracing on top. Midasblenny 2000L tank in 10mm glass popped a few months back, started to leak at one of the joints.

Eish Les, sorry to hear boet... good luck in getting this sorted out.
I have only heard good things about you in EL, so dont stress to much hey :p

Thanks again. Sorry if my answers are short im at a trading store in transkei doing work and im watching my back here. I really hope that this can be resolved in a good manner. Spoke to the dude whos number I was given and he works for the security company. So have to call him back monday for the liquidators details. Boegie I did an eft into agi's account. So I have proof of payment.

You have to put a claim in with the liqudators, written and with proof, they normally have pro-forma for this so you have to get in contact with them.
After selling the assets seperately or business as running entity they will first pay the deptors and then maybe if they have money and feel like it refund yours, sorry, think you gonna loose on this one but still do try.

I have googled a bit and this is my take, although the answer is in an overseas site:

"You can make a claim and be a creditor of that company and perhaps you can get a portion of your money back. Essentially if they're liquidating they're turning all their assets to cash and that cash is then given to the creditors, but if there's not enough cash to pay all the creditors some may be screwed. Most likely you're out of luck, but you can take a shot. Good luck. "

Just want to add that I would not pay anyone any money for trying to get money back that I might even not get back.​

Last edited:
Ok well i met with the guy and i must say things are looking better,

i have brought to his attention the danger of going with this size tank in 10mm and he now sees the light. stoked

i have told him that he can deal with the glazer direct and order the glass and i will still build the tank i will make nothing but its a small price to pay..

i have also offered to pay the amount lost (to AGI) in, in order to keep the build going. i will deal with the liqidation saga and perhaps i can get the cash back either way its neither of our faults but a heavy lesson to learn not to mention expensive. but then again you can arealy put a price on a good lession learnt.

So technically speaking its only the glass price that has increased and all else stays the same.

I have also advised the guy that we should be forgetting about stocking the tank. whatever he catches must be cared for in the Drum and we will slowly put fish over to the system as it matures to handle the load.

i feel so much better that he is going with the 15mm, hold thumbs that it arrives ontime.

option b is to courier it but at 37.5kg a m2 its going to be pricey. 160kg in total for 5 pieces of glass.

wish me luck

shot, i put myself in his shoes and it became clearer to me, we barely know one another i had recieved a tone of cash all the stock was on order and he hadnt seen anything for the money spent.

i gave him his lights today and he seemed reassured. i think he was thinking i was going to make a B-line with the cash :) i dont blame him there are not too many trustworthy people out there these days.

i hope we can still get the 15mm this year though thats the only thing if not we may be back to square 1.

i have also offered to pay the amount lost (to AGI) in, in order to keep the build going. i will deal with the liqidation saga and perhaps i can get the cash back either way its neither of our faults but a heavy lesson to learn not to mention expensive. but then again you can't really put a price on a good lesson learnt.

The best sentence (and own advise) I've ever seen on this forum. That is what I call good, open thinking.

I am often in similar situations- only thing is- I do the job and do not get the money.

Well Said above Les. Let this be a lesson to a lot of members on this here forum

thank you sean, i am still learning every day thats the amazing thing about life. it was going to do me no good to sit and sulk. i think im ore excited about this tank than the actual owner. :)

Good luck Leslie, I hope all works out for the best.

Back
Top Bottom