Tank build gone sour

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by leslie hempel, 7 Dec 2010.

1. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Guys i need some advice

about 2 months ago i was approached by a guy to do a 2.4 x .800 x .800 tank for him

he paid me the cash upfront as per my request and i proceeded to order the glass from the glazer and pay them their portion,

being 15mm it was not kept here locally and bought in from another supplier and there would be a waiting period to get it here which was all communicated to the client.

after alot of phone calls and unreturned e-mails i finally crapped the rep out and he personally delivered the 10mm bracing and overflow for the tank about 3 weeks ago.

he promised me that the glass would be there within the following week.

i got a call last week monday from him to say that the Glass company AGI Africa Glass was now under curatorship and that none of the staff could acess the building.

i couldent alert my client as he was overseas,

anyway he arrived back and contacted me today and i informed him of the news, hes obviously upset with me and has gone to the petshops here to get a quote on building the tank.

we spoke a little earlier and he alterted me that he had ordered the glass 10mm as per the LFS's advice, and that if braced properly the tank would be fine.

i had in the meanwhile secured another price from another glass supplier for 15mm which i can get next week thursday if the order was placed by tomorrow.

anyway it looks like the sale has been taked elswhere which is fine and understandable i dont feel sad about that at all but this leaves e with a question of what to do about the outstanding monies to the client

i have incured expenses and paid for ome of the materials and other than a few rushed calls between be and the client in which i have alterted him to the fact that i have the bracing and overflow in my possession this seems to have been ignored.

what do i do?

advice welcome

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Andreas

Andreas

Look Leslie, this is very unfortunate. How long was your client oversees for? I would also be a bit peeped off if I was in his shoes seeing that he wasn't kept in the loop by the sound of it. Perhaps explain the predicament to him again and hopefully once he has cooled down he will understand.

Have you been able to get the money back from the company?If you told me that it will be finished in 1.5 weeks time then I might consider waiting for it seeing that you already spent money on buying the supplies. Let's hope both parties resolve this peacefully;)

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

agree with you, i have spoken to him weekly and given him updates i have smses to state that, he was away for approx 10 days, as for the glazer i have only this afternoon been able to get the guys number dealing with the liquidation but he wasnt available so i sms'ed and left him a message, will follow up again tomorrow.

Last edited: 7 Dec 2010
  5. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

aye not leka bud good luck with getting it sorted

6. Andreas

Andreas

Well then it seems like you tried your best and if he doesn't understand then it's his loss unfortunately. If he wants to go ahead and build such a big tank in 10mm glass then let it be. It won't be long before he comes running back asking for assistance when a pane cracks:(

7. leslie hempel

shot china, me too

8. leslie hempel

i have honestly tried, i was so looking forward to this build.but ya i would also be sceptical after waiting so long.

the pressure of this all comes because hes wanting to go on holiday over dec to mozambique and collect fish. which he wants to put in the tank. its too much load for such a new tank but i have assisted him in loaning him a skimmer to skim the water in a drum which he has set up to hold the fish in.

9. leslie hempel

if i can mention 1 last thing, the price i gave him for the glass was R750pm2 the next nearest quote is well over R2500.

i have only today been able to organise a good price of R1100 ex vat and transport levy.

10. Trev

Trev

Les if the guy is seriously wanting that size tak in 10mm then best you dont have customers like that, that is just plain stupid. I would actualy claim the bucks back from the glass supplier for the material you have and give the customer his doe back excluding what it costs you in fuel and calls and whatever else, Im sure the guy will be ok with that

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

2.4 x .800 x .800 IN 10MM GLASS.

Wow,
    But it can be done.

If it will last, that is another story.

Surely it cannot withstand any wave making pumps....

"things that go crack in the night...."

12. leslie hempel

thanks for the input trev, i had something simular in terms ot returning the guys cash back.

i have tried to stop him from doing something hasty (eg ordering glass without planning) so that no extra cost in glass will be incurred but im sitting with his braces and hes now gone and ordered others. if i could use them i would keep them.

its a real mess.. Thanks AGI

13. leslie hempel

The guy says he wants to go top notch on everything, this will seriously limit his capabilities in terms of wave makers.

14. SIMS

SIMS

when I have gotten into situations like these over the past 14 years in business i always take the knock and return the money. Last thing you want is someone bad mouthing you all over town...

15. lIghty

lIghty

Sorry yo hear this Leslie, sometime business can be a real headache.

Oh, and isn't it illegal to collect in Moz and import to SA?

16. leslie hempel

ultimatley that is what i woould like to do but im just not in a situation to do so, its not as clear cut as that though there are other items eg skimmer of mine that he has that i will deduct the balance owing etc off the total amount.

East London is a small place and unfortunatley the facts will be omitted when the story is conveyed ,.

i can now see why the guys mark up soo much on items like this had i gone in at the minimum suggested Retail of R1700pm2 i would have been able to sorce this glass elswhere but i made the mistake of trying to help out.

17. leslie hempel

i have advised them that the Moz area and surrounds are an MPA and to rather to collect in durban on the return to ensure better survival of the fish.

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Leslie, 3 hours ago was like 4o'clock in the morning...
    Is this giving you sleepless nights?
    no need to get up that early to beat the traffic. I'm in Gauteng, not you. BTW I get up at 5.

19. leslie hempel

My daughter woke and I had to get her a bottle. But I dont dig conflict so I battled to dall asleep again. Im actually in the kei. So hot up early to do a job up here

20. Slummies

Slummies

aaah les. so miff bru! im sure this will pass and all will be okay!

what u doing in the kei chap?

21. leslie hempel

Painting boet. Thanks for the support buddy.

Recent Posts