Tank build advice

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by gavster, 2 Jun 2011.

1. gavster

gavster

Ok after a few months of planning I'm almost ready to start my build. I'm starting my build this weekend. I just wanted to see if any of you had any advice before I do...

So far I'm thinking 1500 x 600 wide x 700 high.

Yes, yes, I know that's high but I can't stand having to bend down to look into a tank. (Even the stand is slightly higher) I want to walk into the room and look straight at the tank and I'm willing to do whatever I need in the tank from a set of steps.

Other than that I'm going with a DSB and oversized skimmer plus all the usual hardware.

The only two other things I'm unsure about are the lights and the overflow.

I want a full coral reef tank, but I'm not big on SPS. LPS will be the dominant corals. With this in mind I'm thinking 8 x 54w T5's for their low heat. Is this enough? Can I get away with less?

Finally, the overflow has me baffled. I want three FULL viewing panes and ideally don't want to see the overflow if possible, so was thinking of an external centre overflow. What do you guys think? Other than that I was considering a triangular, instead of rectangular overflow on the inside centre because I thought that this might be less intrusive and not obstruct flow as much? I'm not COMPLETELY against having the standard rectangular, centre overflow on the inside of the tank, but was just hoping to avoid it if we could come up with some bright ideas. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels its an eyesore?

So those are my thoughts...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

hi, i would rather go wider, front to back, then higher, say 1500x700x600
    and for LPS etc you can get away with 6 x 54w globes

4. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Cut one of the short sides down and stick on an external overflow box.
    That way no drilling of the main tank body and no box intrusion inside the tank.
    You want your overflow length as long as possible, cuts down on the water velocity and helps prevent fish getting washed over, with reduced risk of clogging.

Check my tank build thread for pics of the way I did mine.

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

have a look at my thread (leslies rimless 5ft) it is also viewable from 3 sides and i concealed alot of goodies inside the overflow, alternitive 2 is to go with a full back slimline overflow which can be very effective.

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

oh on the lighting i decided to go T5 because i can manipulate the different bulbs to get better lighting and tweak colours.. i am using an 8 x 54w AM ocean T5 and they really pack a punch..

if you place your hardy corals at the bottom (zoas and mushrooms) and more sensitive corals higer there is no reason not to go with T5.. hailide is optimal but not a necesity these days...

7. gavster

gavster Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Which 3 sides do you want to view? 2 long and a short, or 2 short and one long?

Based on your description, it seems to be 1 long and 2 short.

Why not a 1m wide semi slimline overflow at the back. 250mm open to both sides. Box 125mm high. With 2 holes fitted. Least amount of tank space used.

9. Elrond

Elrond

gavster: I agree on the height thing. I made my stand 900mm high - which is much higher than usual (I think) and much prefer it that way. I don't recommend the 700mm high as I recall struggling my ASS off in my previous tank to reach stuff properly. I find my new tank with a depth of 650mm is a perfect depth however.

10. gavster

gavster Thread Starter

Great! 650 high sounds good! Not sure how that slimline design would look though? 250 wide and 125 high but how deep?

Recent Posts