Tank Bio-Load

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Meneer, 5 Jun 2011.

1. Meneer

Meneer

My 10 fish are in quarantine with copper treatment against ick.

My DT is running with 2 Hermits, a cleaner and a sea hare, and a few coral frags etc.

After a month of treatment, will the bacteria in my DT & Sump be enough if I re-introduce the 10 fish again? Surely the some bacteria will die off due to lack of fish excrement and the likes?

Should I feed the daily empty tank to keep the system going or what?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

the display tank will be fine, just keep it ticking over and dont feed daily. you could add a defrosted shrimp occasionally (once a week or so) which the hermits will mostly clean up as will the bristle worms etc, anything left over will go through the N cycle and feed the bacteria. But you do NOT want to over feed a very low system and have a massive ammonia spike, leading to death and increased ammonia etc. drive that tank slow I say.

with regards to restocking i would certainly NOT suggest adding all 10 fish back to the system at once. as your treatment routine comes to an end add maybe 2 fish a week so as to stagger the increased bio load on the DT and allow more docile fish to etablish themselves again before the bigger or more aggresive fish come in. work out the order of your stocking and follow it depending on which fish you have.

4. Meneer

Meneer Thread Starter

Ok thanx

5. IMarine

IMarine

Meneer when you introduce your fish make sure you drip them correct and add stabality for 5 days so your system copes with the bio load,and some prime to coat your fish gills so that there stress is far less,and leave your tank running dont do a water change till after you introduce your fish and give it at least 2 weeks ,then start with water changes slowly at 10% a week and then also on every water change add stabality ,i move fully stocked tanks with no loss at all as big as 3000lts or more, and have no problems,always check your levels and you will be good

Recent Posts