Tank Base

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Neil H, 21 Apr 2010.

1. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Ok so the standard is to use polystyrene under the base of a tank

What are the alternatives out there????

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

10mm Soft rubber sheet

...or a pot load of silicone in a 10mm layer squared off nicely :p

4. Linxie

Linxie

Hey Neil,
    I've seen some (not many) people using bubble wrap, but I'm not entirely sure about this.
    I currently have 2 layers of bubble wrap with polystyrene under my 3ft and so far none of the bubbles have popped.

5. Neil H

Neil H Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

boes anyone have a substancial tank resting only on wood or some equally hard substance?

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Why bubble wrap AND polystyrene? Polystyrene only is enough. The only reason is to prevent hard particles from breaking the glass like small stones, etc - so it then presses into the poly, protecting the glass.
    I would not take a chance with bubble wrap - if one pop, it could lead to a hole chain reaction as the weight is then distributed between the rest... I think :whistling:

7. danimal

danimal

imagine waking up to THAT sound in the middle of the night.... :lol:

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

RATATATATATATATATATATAT....TA.......TATA.....TATA my tank base :p

9. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

My tank 5000l is on wood and then I have polystyrene under that as the tank is on a concrete base.

We used to build glass tanks on wood only. This is allright if the base is dead flat, but its very dificult to ensure that.

10. Linxie

Linxie

The polystyrene was broken in two places and I was feeling very uneasy about it so we included the bubble wrap :D

The first few nights I couldn't sleep because I was scared the bubbles would pop. Kept waking up expecting to hear the sound of gushing water.

11. inflames

inflames

I thought the MAIN reason for Polystyrene was to stop the transfer of movement, knocks through the tank for our inhabitants! Not so much as to soften the base of the tank and prevent breakages! But I suppose that something that is made from glass does help to have something to "protect it a little" A would say any level surface would be fine to put a tank on!

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

It happened to me loooong time ago. The tank was standing on wood only, and when I filled it up - crack! There goes the base. It is because any biggish dust particle or small grain of sand or stone WILL crack the base if it does not collapse under the wait of the tank as the glass cannot give way like polystyrene or something soft.
    You might get guys getting away with it, but I'll never take that chance...

13. robertkukla

robertkukla

polystyrene also takes up the diffrence if the tank stand is not 100% level

14. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Neil - my stand is a completely wooden stand, and I only have thin (doubled up 5mm foam rubber) rubber between the wood and the stand. And as you know - I have a 2 meter tank - with a +-volume of 800 litres of water.....

15. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Robert - a stand MUST be as close to 100% level as possible, otherwise you WILL end up with a cracked tank at some stage!

IF a tank stand is ie. 98% level, and 2% out, then the polystyreen would assist in this case.

16. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

The main reason for using polystyrene is to remove any possible "point loads" caused by hard sand or other particles caught between the tank glass and base. Although it will also distribute the load evenly, one should never rely on polystyrene to "level" the stand or tank.

Neil, when I built my stand (concrete slab on top of angle iron legs), I used a "self leveling" epoxy to ensure that the stand top was perfectly level. Although this cost me a few hundred Rand, I do feel that it was a worth-while investment. I then only used a very thin piece of polystyrene to protect the tank bottom against any "point loads" caused by unnoticed sand/dust granules which I could possibly have missed.

Of course, if you opt to build your tank the American way, by having the bottom pane "floating" some 5-10 mm above the bottom of the side panes, you don't need to use any polystyrene at all...

Hennie

Recent Posts