Tank background covering

Reaction score
Hi Guys/Gals,

What do you recommend using to cover the back of a tank. In the past I've used PVA paint, but the salt creep after time gets under its skin. What paint is recommended?

Thanks
Gerrit

Personally, I paint the back with Plascon Glatex-8 two-part epoxy paint. It is expensive though.

ive used 3mm black perspex

Like Craig says, Glatex 8 is the answer. They use it to paint yachts, so you know it sticks like baby poo to a shoe.

Thanks, I think either will work, but in my case with outlet holes in the back panel, I think the Glatex 8 will have to do. Where does one buy it from? Any paint shop?

Its a plascon product. Any good hardware store will have it.

Personally, I paint the back with Plascon Glatex-8 two-part epoxy paint. It is expensive though.

is this inside? i think its overkill, personally i use plascon G116 midnight blue in a super universal enamel (+-R45 for 1lt you only need 250ml), you can have the same thing mixed in velvaglo if you wanted a better quality... remember your paint will only be as good as the surface you put it onto so wipe with methelayted spirits with a clean cloth..

oh and glatex (boats) and 2k (generally for cars) are the same thing.. glatex being more expensive.... they have just awarded a branded name for 2k for boat use...

what makes you think i work with paint!!!

last comment: if you are in a hurry to position your tank get paint mixed in a QD ( quick dry) enamel in the colour of your choice it dries within about 15-20min or even less on warmer days... i find this adheres to glass better if the glass pane is slightly warmed prior to painting...

just my 2c

Last edited:
is this inside? i think its overkill, personally i use plascon G116 midnight blue in a super universal enamel (+-R45 for 1lt you only need 250ml), you can have the same thing mixed in velvaglo if you wanted a better quality... remember your paint will only be as good as the surface you put it onto so wipe with methelayted spirits with a clean cloth..

oh and glatex (boats) and 2k (generally for cars) are the same thing.. glatex being more expensive.... they have just awarded a branded name for 2k for boat use...

what makes you think i work with paint!!!

last comment: if you are in a hurry to position your tank get paint mixed in a QD ( quick dry) enamel in the colour of your choice it dries within about 15-20min or even less on warmer days... i find this adheres to glass better if the glass pane is slightly warmed prior to painting...

just my 2c

Not inside! I cannot really imagine needing to paint inside a tank, and I struggle to see that holding up long-term. Also, I dislike normal enamel for painting on glass, it scratches off too easily. Epoxy paint adheres much better in my experience and is immune to salt creep.

on the inside comment....just checking you never know... i have used enamel for over 15years and never had a problem... besides your system should be designed to eliminate the problem of salt creep...

spend the money on glatex 8 if you want ... we all have our personal preferances.... both will work 1 is just cheaper than the other...

Hi there,Could someone pleassse tell me which of the 2 colours will be best to use as a background for my fishtank. Black or blue ? I woud like my fishes to realy stand out.

there is no better colour, its a matter of personal preference, there are plenty debates on this, go with what suits you, trying using black and blue card board and see which you prefer before you paint

Plascon black PVA doesn't lift or peel

Might be a dumb question but can I put plascon on with the tank full? My nano has no background with a window behind it and I wanna paint it.

i painted after the tank was full....didnt know about painting backgrounds...just taped up all the gaps for the fumes and used a small spunge roller used for enamel pints as my tank is next to a wall with limited space behind. also put a fan on to aid with drying and chase fumes

Might be a dumb question but can I put plascon on with the tank full? My nano has no background with a window behind it and I wanna paint it.

You can if you can reach behind it. Just make sure the room remains aerated for a day so the fumes don't bother the fish and inverts. You can add some fresh carbon to adsorb and chemicals that may get into the water

SWEET. Will have a black background by tomorrow then. Thanx for the help.

Hi there,I'm still trying to figure out exactly how this e-mail system works. I discover it this time by accident lol. And now that I found it - I just want to thank everyone for their reply the last time I discovered it by accident.I'm from South Africa (Cape Town) and would love to get in contact with people sharing the same hobby near by (but all is welcome). The fishy thing is also a new to me. Got the tank, but still have to get the rest of the equipment. I do know that I want a community tank and most of the fishes I would like to get prefers soft to slightly accidy water. (Pardon my spelling - I'm Afrikaans speaking).Any advice is welcome.Kind RegardsTheresa

Hi Tes, the web address is www.marineaquariumsa.com or add it to your favourites by pressing on the green cross over a gold star on the left hand side of your tool bar .

This is a marine fish website, by your description you may be looing for a freshwater tank.

Back
Top Bottom