Tank and Sump Design

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Could you have a look at this tank and sump I've designed, The tank is
1400(L)x600(w)x550(h), the sump 1000(l)x500(w)x600(h).

What do you think? Can you see any problems that I might run into, no point is too small, Wanna do this only once....

392477be25a1bbb1.jpg

The Tank

392477be2c20893e.jpg

The sump - Return side

392477be31718100.jpg

The sump (top view) Inlet side.

why dont you have your ro water reservoir in a drum or bucket out of the sump and whats the electricals pipe for?

why dont you have your ro water reservoir in a drum or bucket out of the sump and whats the electricals pipe for?

I want to contain everything under the tank making it tidy, it will be run as a auto topup. The electrical pipe is to run electrical cables to the canopy "thru the tank" so it doesn't hang behind the tank, will put a "DB" in the canopy to power lights, pumps, etc.

your return should be at the top and not the bottom Jusin.else,if theres a powefailure or you switch off your return,you gonna flood the house.and whats with the "Electrical" part?

true, that would have been flop, will have to move the return up to the top, electrical pipe to run cable to top of the tank so they don't come up behind the tank.
thanks

Hi lIghty, glad to see you have the pipes figured, will mail the bends tonight.

Ok, like Mekaeel said the return needs to be from the top with a siphon break or you will need a huge mop ;)

have the overflow pipe run lower into the water, bout 2 inches above the bottom i.e. under the waterlevel.

Make sure you can fit a durso in your overflow or the noise will drive you nuts.

I like the RO in sump idea, just make sure it can hold a weeks worth of water, if its only a day or two and you need to fill it up, you might as well save the money on a auto top up and do it manually.

but looking good:thumbup:

Looking good but the r/o is too close to the down pipe, you may get splashing or salt creep all over your r/o - could you build a small tank next to the end of your sump.

Thanx for your help Kanga.

I might lift the RO chamber to the top and make a filling port on top, that would stop the salt creap and it would then hold about 16 lts, you think that's ok? I'll have to redesign the return, do you guys think running the return along the front with little down pipes would be ok?

lIghty, your tank is not much smaller than mine and I use 25L R/O every 5 - 6 days.
So 16litres if it was me would be too small, but every 2 - 3 days filling, if thats fine by u great, also remember it would be able to run dry so you might only have 12-14 litres stock. Any chance of a container between the sump and tank?
Salt creep wont be and issue in the R/O its salt that comes from the system and goes BACK in the system so no harm no foul.

Have the return come in with just a 45 degree elbow, no bars to disperse the flow, you WANT that flow why waste it?

lIghty, your tank is not much smaller than mine and I use 25L R/O every 5 - 6 days.
So 16litres if it was me would be too small, but every 2 - 3 days filling, if thats fine by u great, also remember it would be able to run dry so you might only have 12-14 litres stock. Any chance of a container between the sump and tank? ]Salt creep wont be and issue in the R/O its salt that comes from the system and goes BACK in the system so no harm no foul.

Have the return come in with just a 45 degree elbow, no bars to disperse the flow, you WANT that flow why waste it?

Only got 100mm between the tank and sump so container not going to fit, maybe i'll go a bit longer, will have to check spacing for chiller. will do some calculations tomorrow.

when you say a 45, do you mean that I should only have one return pipe directed back into the tank, so the flow it high?

Only got 100mm between the tank and sump so container not going to fit, maybe i'll go a bit longer, will have to check spacing for chiller. will do some calculations tomorrow.

Where is the chiller going?

when you say a 45, do you mean that I should only have one return pipe directed back into the tank, so the flow it high?

Yes thats exactly what I am saying. Also reduces back pressure on your pump doing it this way

Where is the chiller going?

The tank is 1.4m and the sump 1m, so it leaves 400mm on the side. think my chiller is 250w, so i can push the sump a further 150mm longer up against the chiller, I'll just have to mount an extraction fan to remove hot air.

Yes thats exactly what I am saying. Also reduces back pressure on your pump doing it this way

Good, less work.

where is the chiller going?

The sump will go under the tank, with the tank being 1400mm it will give me just under that for the equipment and sump, if I make the sump, say 1100mm long, it will still give me 250mm to 300mm, which my chiller would fit into.

hope it makes sense.

The sump will go under the tank, with the tank being 1400mm it will give me just under that for the equipment and sump, if I make the sump, say 1100mm long, it will still give me 250mm to 300mm, which my chiller would fit into.

hope it makes sense.

lIghty, remember that chiller will need lots of airflow, having it in a confined space is not a good idea, they generate loads of heat.

Rather if you can use the space for extra DSB area

electrical pipe to run cable to top of the tank so they don't come up behind the tank.
thanks
i would not place the electrical pipe in the tank,rather have it at the back,cover up the back with ABS sheeting or paint the back so you wouldnt see the wires

i would not place the electrical pipe in the tank,rather have it at the back,cover up the back with ABS sheeting or paint the back so you wouldnt see the wires

Mekaeel, I have seen many tanks with the cable running through a pipe in the overflow, works like a bomb, as long as the pipe is higher than the water level then it will stay dry

Just bear in mind that if the plug doesn't fit through the pipe and you have to cut the plug off then you will lose your warranty on the item.

Just bear in mind that if the plug doesn't fit through the pipe and you have to cut the plug off then you will lose your warranty on the item.

There won't be a need for the plugs thru it as there will be a DB in the canopy where the pumps etc will plug into, will be a sealable unit.

Back
Top Bottom