Tank Alternative

dallasg

Controversial Reefer, but knowledgeable!
Reaction score
hi,

heres a quick Q, suppose wanted to keep corals not for viewing, for frags etc, how would an acrylic bath do? like a jacuzzi or normal bath.

given that all other equipment would be the same?

hi,

heres a quick Q, suppose wanted to keep corals not for viewing, for frags etc, how would an acrylic bath do? like a jacuzzi or normal bath.

given that all other equipment would be the same?

As long as any fittings in the bath (like the plug hole etc) were sealed to prevent rusting, then why not, but for the price of the glass you could build a shallow fish tank (no more than 200mm deep) quite cheaply out of 6mm glass.

i know, but have access to free acrylic baths, will see the condition, all metallic items will be removed and patched. just an idea i am pondering

thanks mike

i know, but have access to free acrylic baths, will see the condition, all metallic items will be removed and patched. just an idea i am pondering

thanks mike

Cool, for a frag tank just remember it doesn't need to be very deep.

would a 6mm braced bottom be ok, or should i look at 10mm glass?

1000x1000x200, water to 170, gives a safety rating of over 30

mike, would i be able to PM/email you and ask for some advice on a project i am looking at, will be tomorrow or much later this eve?

thanks dude, link to your tank?

going to use inch think pine for the bases of tanks, with polystyrene.
stands will be 45cm high, less metal, and safer less gravity drag, 25mm angle iron

thanks dude, link to your tank?

going to use inch think pine for the bases of tanks, with polystyrene.
stands will be 45cm high, less metal, and safer less gravity drag, 25mm angle iron

Use a marine ply type wood for the base - we use WBP (water and boil proof) plywood, it doesn't swell and expand like pine - also for peace of mind, go to 40mm angle iron.

Hey dallas, i'm goin with mike on this:) go for glass. even if its a frag tank frags look different from the side in comparison to the top, so you would have to remove it to see it properly. but seems you are goin with glass anyway:) what lightin will this be? natural would save a lot and with that shallow a tank sps would grow like nuts if the conditions are right.
Posted via Mobile Device

hey scubs, glass all the way, yip for now natural depending on how bright, or will add mh

but for now this is an idea

i would convert my jacuzzi if it wasnt so much fun.

the bathtub would be for curing LR only

Mike: will go marine ply

i am looking at 500mm cubes, sides 6mm and bottom 10mm
i am going to brace the sides, front and back on top

is doing the base necessary or overkill?

i am looking at 500mm cubes, sides 6mm and bottom 10mm
i am going to brace the sides, front and back on top

is doing the base necessary or overkill?

It may be over kill, but it is certainly peace of mind.

even with a 10mm base on small breeder tanks?

dallas almost anything can be used so long as rated marine safe and corrosion free, buckets, drums baths etc are all candidates for a project like this.. obviously they all come with their different challenges in terms of providing flow and removl of dead spots etc.

i have even seen wooden frames built with a waterproof canvas lining uitalised in the abalone and cob farms.. i see no reason why the same cant be used for this type of application..

thanks leslie, i have 4 125l plastic buckets for LR, DSB, then looking for glass tanks to house the fish

Back
Top Bottom