tank all over

Discussion in 'uncategorised' started by THE ANIMAL, 27 Apr 2009.

1. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

Hi to all members:banghead:
    I had some bad luck. As some of you now I was straggeling with whitespot, so I dit all(garlic,vitamins and so). But some were I must have done something rong one morning when I wake up all my fish but 4 or 5 were dead and my water milky, dont know.:oops:

But the reason I'm starting this thread is for some advice and guidance.
    :idea:

I spoke to reef macanic and he says that I must take out all my corels, LR and catch the fish that's left. then put all back but my fish and let it be for 6 weeks.To kill the whitespot!!

Now what I want to do is to change my crass corel in my main tank to sand or fine crass corel. How must I go adout doing that, because there are brittel worms and all goggas in there? and If I do this will my corels survive doing this is like starting a new tank. I just change my sump to a DSB so this is also still new
    please help so that I can get it right this time and for the long run.:1hissyfit: :helpsmilie:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Animal -

You SHOULD and could do one of the following:
    - either remove a handful of crushed coral at a time (one hand-full a week) - and by the time you have cleared up a quarter of your tank "floor", put the fine particled sand in the place of the crushed coral that you have removed.... repeat the steps.... by the time you get to adding the 2nd lot of fine sand, the 1st lot should already have been populated by pods, worms, and other critters...
    Repeat these steps until you have replaced all of your substrate - this SHOULD be a process that SHOULD go on for a few weeks, though
    - Second way you can try: is to just add the fine sand over your current crushed coral.... the fine sand SHOULD go into the current substrate, infiltrating between the current pieces / particles of crushed coral - in such a way - you can have the best of both worlds..... but, I am not sure whether you will "like the look" of this...

Good luck.

4. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL Thread Starter

Hi jacquesb
    Ok I get what you are saying but this will take me for ever. Can I not move 1/4 to 1/2 of the present substrate to one side of my tank and then put in my new sand and let it be for a week or two. Then start taking out the substrate that I want to replace.

I have up to 6 weeks to do this while my fish are in quarantine. The thing is my corels can I leave them or must I take them out to? please anyone else feel free to comment the more the beter want to do this thing right this time.

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Animal - the issue you have here, is the amount of bacteria that's currently living in the substrate. IF you change over too much of the substrate at a time, then you loose this amount of bacteria. Because it will take another few weeks before the new substrate will contain enough bacteria for your system/tank to be healthy.....

Hope you understand?

Recent Posts