Tank Advice

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Into_The_Blue, 27 Feb 2009.

1. Into_The_Blue

Into_The_Blue

Hi Okes.
    I want to start a reef aquarium, with fish and invertebrates etc.. but firstly I need your advice on the most aquatic-life friendly tanks and one which allows for interesting rock and coral display and further expansion. Been looking at these acryllic tanks with the rounded edges online but have no idea where to start quoting prices for the basic equipment that will start me off.

I live in the Cape Town area so could anybody that has experience point me to the right stores who have all that one might need.

I already know about the sea point marine research institute cuz my old man used to get fresh seawater pumped there for his old rig but thats about all I know.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks

Blue

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Welcome Blue

What size tank are you looking for ?

If you going bigger than the Nano sizes 150L + then rather get a tank made up.

Check out our sponsors in your area - Sponsors Forums - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Have you given any thought to what you want to keep ?

4. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

5. scubaninja

scubaninja

welcometomasa
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

:welcometomasa1:Into_The_Blue

We have a couple on Cape based sponsors. Maybe you should pay them a visit.

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A very WARM WELCOME to MASA, "Into The Blue" ;) AWESOME that you have found us, and joined MASA! Great to have you onboard!

OK - the best advice, at this stage, I can give you, is the following:
    1) READ, READ, READ, READ as much information about keeping marines, as you ever can
    2) then read some more!
    3) Have a HUGE HUGE HUGE amount of PATIENCE!

Without patience, your journey will be quite full of unhappiness and regret....

OK - that said - you can have a look at one of the following, when it comes to tanks:
    1) you can either purchase 2nd hand, from a fellow reefer
    2) you can purchase from a reputable LFS (preferably start with our sponsors) a customer-built tank
    3) you can purchase a pre-manufactured / imported tank

I would suggest, start at the beginning. READING. Have a look at the other "New Members" threads. Look at their tanks. Also read through the "Member's tanks and setups" threads.

See if there is something you would like to achieve, and then let us assist you by obtaining this goal.

Ask as many questions as possible - there is no such thing as a "stupid question". Only the un-asked questions are the "Stupid one's"....

You can go out and buy a "nano" tank (a marine tank that is smaller than 120 litres, typically) - which has been pre-manufactured/imported (ie. Boyu, JBJ, etc). These are indeed "cheaper" and "cheaper" to set up. BUT, please do remember that they are also the tanks that require the MOST WORK. The maintenance required for keeping a nano marine tank, is HUGE - you are forced to do weekly water changes (although the small amount of water is not a problem, that you are changing). When ANYTHING changes in the tank, then happens VERY QUICKLY - ie. pH changes, temperature changes, ammonia spikes, nitrate spikes, phosphate spikes, etc....
    All of these changes will MOST likely end up with dead, or dying life stock. Meaning that you end up with your fish being dead, and/or corals being dead..... Not a good thing....

The up-side of a nano, is that you can "affordably" start your journey into marines. You just have to be extremely dilligent about the upkeep.....

Going bigger - means stability, and means more room for "error". Meaning - before things happen that could kill your life stock, you will most likely have more time in resolving these "issues".....
    BUT, a big tank, costs more - it also costs more to fill up - it costs more to do water changes - it also costs more to put life stock in - it also costs more in filtration (ie bigger skimmer required)....

So - the best bet for you, if you don't mind me saying so - would be to identify what exactly you want, and then start asking questions, ie. what filtration, what lighting, what water flow/power heads, what sump design, what skimmer, etc.... That we can assist you in being the BEST reefkeeper / marine aquarist, you can EVER be!

Good luck!

8. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

9. dogstar

dogstar

welcome. starting a tank is awesome and lots of fun. enjoy:)

10. dogstar

dogstar

Some great advice there......get an idea for the size tank you keen on, then ask all the questions.

Recent Posts