Tank about to break

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by danimal, 6 Jan 2010.

1. danimal

danimal

Hey guys

I noticed the other day some bubbles appearing in the silicone between the front and side glass panes. Was pretty sure they hadn't been there before, and so monitored them for a few days... they are increasing in size noticeably, therefore it is simply a matter of time before my lounge becomes a pool and I become single!

My plan is to drain the tank tomorrow; I am organising a standby tank from a mate this evening to keep livestock in for the few days this will take to remedy. I will then remove the front panel and re-silicone it in place, adding more bracing. Holding thumbs the livestock all make it though...

Any advice? Anyone else been through something similar?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mnd123

mnd123

Danimal, my 1.2m started leaking between the front pane and LHS glass, I drained the tank, stripped off the silicone, used a blade between the panes and simply resealed it. Not sure you need to remove the front pane completely - and removing the Euro may just be more trouble than its worth

Mine has been solid since (but it is only 200l and Euro braced)

4. mnd123

mnd123

How big is your tank?

5. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

its 1100 x 500 x 500. yes, it might be easier to just cut away and reseal. i will proably have to do this by myself as my wife is going to joburg tomorrow. hmmm, need to plan this properly... :whistling:

6. mandarinman

mandarinman

i would reduce level in tank to reduce strain and i would brace it very well by wrapping reinforced packaging tape around the top a few times(this is all imo

7. mnd123

mnd123

I did mine myself, IIRC

8. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

9. mnd123

mnd123

sorry - a FLA, If I Recall Correctly

10. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

11. magman

magman

add more bracing to the sides?

12. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

thats the plan :)

13. mnd123

mnd123

mebe give Adrian or Bob from Idol Marine a buzz and get some advice bud?

14. chikaboo

chikaboo

Sorry to hear Dan - two important rules to remember using silicone : try and remove MOST of the old silicone and must be as DRY as possible before applying the new - Oh here's one more - more silicone does NOT mean it will seal better - keep your "bead" as thin as possible but sufficient enough to completely smudge the two glasses together without having too many air pockets when you press together - also you can use sunlight liquid to neaten up extra silicone edges - you can use some tape as well to keep panes together for drying (masking tape works nice as doesn't leave too much marks when removing) hope all goes well bud!

15. Hill

Hill

A couple of my old tanks used to get bubbles in the seams after filling. I always used to thing that it was due to air trapped in the glue.

I now think it may be due to me filling the tank too soon and not allowing sufficient curing time. I often used to fill within a few days, even if it was just a fresh water test.

My next tank will stand for a minimum of 1 day per mm of silicon seam before the fresh water test.

16. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

eish - i dont really have that luxury! the livestock are going into some temporary storage with heaters and powerheads, they will also be connected to the sump. i cant really leave them that way for too long, porbably 48 hrs at best while the silicone cures.... hold thumbs for me!

17. Hill

Hill

Have you had a professional tank builder look at the tank. Is it necessary to fix?

18. lIghty

lIghty

I doubt tape will hold that.

You could use a "slash clamp" (Like a long "G" clap they use for woodwork) with some thick rubber and wood on the ends, to protect the glass.

I have a 4ft you could pic up if you would like? it has a overflow so you could do a temp plumbing job..... Get my cell number from Mekaeel if you need to contact me and I'm offline.

19. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

no not yet, but im pretty sure it will be popping off soon. the bubbles in the silicone have noticeably increased in the past few days.

I doubt tape will hold that.

thanks lighty, will be picking up some clamps this morning. i got some bic plastic containers for the meantime, thanks for the offer though :)

20. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

well before panic sets in completley remember that so long as the container is attached to the sump and has your LR in it you can keep your fish in there a litte while without trouble provided you did a few water changes and kept your parameters as normal as possible..

assess the situation and fix it properly or else you will be faced with the same dilema again in a short while due to a rushed Job..

if you plan this properly there is no reason that anything should be lost..

as for the siliconing, the longer the cure the better but id say at least 3-4 days (if pressed for time) if you completley reseal the inside seams to an about 8mm bead.

take your time to check all the stress joints

good luck buddy.. holding thumbs for you..

21. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

ok im well on my way now. tank is drained and livestock are in two big tubs. the one tub is connected to the sump and contains about half my live rock and all fish, inverts, corals etc. the other tub contains the rest of the live rock and my substrate (aragonite).

here's my question: I don't have enough pumps etc to connect the second tub to the rest of the system. if i just put a powerhead in there will that be enough to keep the life in the substrate and live rock happy for 3 or 4 days? or should i make a plan and get it all connected?

Recent Posts