Tangs

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by IMarine, 9 Jan 2008.

1. IMarine

IMarine

Hi guys got back from holiday today my fish was not fed for 5days ,corals all doing well, but my 1 purple tang has been taking a beating from my yellow tang he has been eaten away on his back fin,and at the same time he is eating like a dog i pray he makes it.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

The trouble is, they are both Zebrasoma species - and prone to fight each other, the yellow being more agressive, it may be better to have 5 or 6 yellows/purples rather than two - they seem less likely to fight in a group - obviously only get if you have the tank big enough.

Fish not feeding for 5 days is not likely to be fatal (unless you have anthias) but not that good.

4. IMarine

IMarine Thread Starter

Thanks bra but i have got 2 purples in my tank i am going to remove the yellow tonight

5. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Is the other purple ok? have you seen the yellow beating seven buckets out of it?

6. sunburst

sunburst

I have a yellow and a purple that need to come out of quarantine and go into my display. They are currently being held in seperate tanks. My display has hmm... dont know the common name (zebrasoma veliferum sp). All fish are more or less the same size. The display also has an Orange shoulder surgeon. My question is.... should i actually do this....as i have seen fish disagree and i get exhausted and stressed watching them.... And if i do, should i just dump the two new comers in and hope for the best.

7. IMarine

IMarine Thread Starter

I think go for it all 2 at the same time i have never had a problem i think they fort for food but i managed to take my yellow right now out, gone into my sump .

8. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

sailfin tang

9. sunburst

sunburst

Ar'nt all Zebrasomas ...Sailfins

10. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

the Velifrum is a sailfin.
    eg yellow tang is Zebrasoma flavescens
    purple tang is Zebrasoma xanthturum

11. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Guys, it seems to be a trend these days to keep more than one tang in a tank, and some people are lucky enough that it works for them - the sad fact is, however, that tangs are territorial, and will fight to protect it's territory. In nature each tang patrolls an area roughly the size of an Olympic swimming pool, and it is not kind to the fish to keep more than one tang (of any kind...) in anything but a very large (2m plus...) tank.

Hennie

12. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Sort of, the Zebrasoma species generally have the high fin look, the sailfin inparticular, but look at the commonly known ones; gem tangs, yellows, purples, blacks and the sailfin - they all look so similar that they can easily be percieved as a threat to mating rights/territory disputes.

13. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

I can confirm what Hennie/Mike has said - I have a 2 metre and my elongated surgeon and yellow-eye tang as well as lineated tang (aka clown tang) fought till they all got white-spot and died..... the stress it caused these fish when they fight is just not worth their lives..... I am sorry - I would just LOVE to have more tangs - BUT they are indeed extremely territorial..... and aggresive towards each other.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2008
  14. Warr7207

Warr7207

But not to other fish (that I have), how come ?

15. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Mainly down to mating rights/terratory issues, they won't see other fish as a threat (generally)

16. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Agreed.

Tangs are herbivores (plant grazers, like sheep or cattle), and, like sheep or cattle they can over graze an area and end up with no food after all the algae have been eaten. To compensate for this possibility, tangs have developed a highly territorial mentality, driving off any other plant eaters which threaten "their" algae grazing area. Open water feeders and hunters don't normally eat algae, and are thus no competition/threat to the tangs - thus there is no need for the tangs to chase them away...

Hennie

Last edited: 10 Jan 2008
  17. SIMS

SIMS

oops I have 3 tangs...Regal, Yellow and Sailfin...

18. Alfie

Alfie

Agreed Hennie but the fact that they went without food for 5 days, Don't you think that this has something to do with it. When they are fed regularly they don't seem to fight.

19. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

The regal is paracanthus, so won't really figure in the zebrasoma's equasion, and depending on the sizes of your yellow and sailfin they may just get along ok.

20. Warr7207

Warr7207

How come my Tang eats everything else (non-plant), flakes, frozen food and seafood mix ?

Can they become omnivores ?

21. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Probably because there isn't sufficient algae in your tank to sustain them, so nature finds a way and they adapt to stay alive. I think :p

Recent Posts