Tangs

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Hermanus, 17 Aug 2009.

1. Hermanus

Hermanus

Hi I have a 1,2m aquarium and is setting up a 1,8m just so that I can keep more tangs with my corals.In the 1,2 m there is a regal tang and it killed al the other tangs i.v put in, can I now put the regal in the 1.8m or must I first buy the other fish I want and then put in the regal last? Will the space be sufficient so that the regal will leave the other tangs alone, if I put it in know (first)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Atilla

Atilla Sponsor

well regals are normally rather peaceful by tang standards. if this guy (regal) is so aggro then you definately need to put him in last. how big is this regal. i have 2 regals and they are very peaceful. what other tangs did the regal kill?

4. crispin

crispin

i would set that 1.8m up and leave it to cycle a long period. i would then add the other fish you want and any new tangs that you intend so that they set up territorial rites, and sleeping places. i would give them all a few MONTHS after the tank is cycled for this and just leave the regal where it is for now. seriously though, let the tank cycle and the fish settle for longer than you want to! :)

then i would sump the regal in the 1.8 to acclimatise to the water for two weeks and only then introduce him. IF war breaks out, id sell the regal and get another one! :)

how many tangs and which ones do you want to keep in the 1.8?

5. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Perhaps you need to learn the latin names of the tangs you desire, tnags of the same latin species tend to fight, but those of a different family usually don't, for example, a yellow tang - zebrasoma flavens - quite a feisty fish, don't usually bother a tang of another sp, i.e a regal tang (paracanthus hepatus) but with another zebrasoma, it's quite a different story - it's mainly down to shape rather than colour and breeding/territory rights.

6. Warr7207

Warr7207

Great explanation Mike :)

Not to be argumentative, but are there other Paracanthurus species ?

7. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Well there are two regal tangs, one being the yellow belly variety;) but they are all acanthuridae but split into many varieties.:)

8. Hermanus

Hermanus Thread Starter

Hi There,
    The Regal Killed 3 Sailfin Tangs Introduced At Different Stages. One After The Other Died. (chased It Around, Got Stressed Up And Died). The Other Fishes It Chased Untill It Died Were: Powder Brown, Then I Tried A Fox Face, Then A Mexican Bean. I Want To Have A Sailfin Tang, A Yellow Tang, Powder Brown, A Mexican Bean, Banggai Cardinals, 2 Fire Gobies, Mandarine With The Regal.

9. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

hermanus its seems you have quite a nasty natured tang on your hands there i dont agree with parting with him (as somebody else will have less emotional attachment to him than you do and possibly flush him) but i do think the sumping idea is a good one while introducing your more peaceful fish.. what does your aquascaping look like? can you perhaps post a pic? perhaps there is insufficient hiding places for him to aclimatise unbothered. do you put the lights off when you introdue the new fish? try distract them with food while adding the new fish? im just trying to cover all the bases here. sorry for all the questions..

10. Hermanus

Hermanus Thread Starter

The Problem Was That I Tried To Keep More Than One Tang In The 1,2m Tank. I Think You Can't Have More Than One Tang In Such A Small Tank. That's Why I'm Putting Up The 1,8m Tank Now.

11. lIghty

lIghty

how big is the Regal?

12. Hermanus

Hermanus Thread Starter

HI, the regal is no more than 7cm long think it is as big as it will get in the 1,2m I think it will grow very quick in the 1,8 had the fish for over 2years now

13. Pugsly

Pugsly

I have a few yellow tangs that are now living together in harmony but it was not the case first off.

I had one yellow tang, then added two much bigger tangs. It was hectic in the tank and the little yellow tang started chasing the two bigger ones and fighting with them. Then I learnt that you can't introduce tangs at different stages, they must go in all at once otherwise they will fight.

So I cought them all, placed them in the sump for a week, re-arranged the LR in the DT around a bit and then placed all the tangs back into DT at the same time!

Now they are great friends and have never again chased each other or fight.
    So set the new 1.8m tank up, let it cycle properly and then add them all at once this way they will find there own places to hide and sleep and there will be no fighting.

Never add tangs to a tank that has a tang in it already - they will fight!

14. Hermanus

Hermanus Thread Starter

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    This is the Regal and some of the aquascaping, think it has allot of space to sleep and hide ext. I do put of the lights when I add new fish, The first salfin I had lived for some time with the regal but the salfin where added first ,then the salfin decided it had Enough and died .After that no other fish where allowed by the regal ,so I stop trying to add more fish some time back, no use killing fish if you know what is going to happen. Hopefully the problem will be sorted out with the 1,8m tank think it is a space problem i had, the only thing is The regal is in the 1,2 and the 1,2 is going asoon as the 1,8 is ready. So do I take the regal to a pet shop, or do I try it in the 1,8 and if it still kills new fish then take it, give it another change or not? Don't want to buy new fish or corals for some time must make minister of finances happy first after all the spending on the 1.8m

15. Hermanus

Hermanus Thread Starter

Pusly ,that sounds like the only why to do it, think I must let that 1,2 run and get the fish I want and ya follow your advise it makes allot of sens.

16. Pugsly

Pugsly

HERMANUS, yes - I guarentee that doing what I said will sort this problem out. I know and have seen first hand that this works.

After that mr. regal will be a tame fishy again!

And yes, the 1.2 may have been a tad small for many tangs.
    As for your 1.8 I would not add more than 5 additional tangs (6 tangs in total with the regal if yours) and that is if you don't keep any other fish!

My borther in law has a massive tank (around 2500l) and he has 8 very big yellow tangs in it only with coral / LR and it is absolutly stunning!!!!!

17. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

firstly your tank looks great hermanus:) hope you can sort the problem out...think you got some good advice here;)

18. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

My borther in law has a massive tank (around 2500l) and he has 8 very big yellow tangs in it only with coral / LR and it is absolutly stunning!!!!![/quote]

hey pugsly..your brother in laws tank sounds great..8 yellows! shoo! must be awesome man.cant you maybe take some picks and post them for us to see:razz:

19. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

20. Hermanus

Hermanus Thread Starter

Thanks Clinton, and yes pic's of that tank will be very nice!! And thank you all for the advise!

21. Hermanus

Hermanus Thread Starter

Tell me how long dos it take to fill up the 1.8 with ro???? It has been running from Thursday non stop and it is only 3/4!! The sump I started so long to try and speed up the cycle

Recent Posts