Tangs - White Spot

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Goby, 29 Sep 2009.

1. Goby

Goby

Heloo to all

This morning i noticed white spot on my powder blue tang. :( Must have been a bit stressed since Sunday when we put them into the tank.There is about 2-3 spots that you can see. My yellow tang is also behaving different, rubbing against the LR and breathing faster than normal. Can't see any white spot on him though. maybe has the itch. Is itch the same as white spot?

I have read about different treatments but i think i'll go the natural route and let nature goes its way. I don't want to try any medicines and catching it now for quarantine is out of the question. there is to many hiding spaces between the LR and trying to catch it will stress it even more.

have read that one can take up the temp to 28C. What effect will this have on the other fish and shrooms and will this help in anyway?

I have switched of the lights completely so that they can calm down.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ml

ml

Goby I know you would like to go the nature way, but before you could do anything your hole tank will be infected with whitespot. Do yourself a faver and go and buy some Mayzin it's the best. I used it for all my marine tanks and didn't loose anything in the progress of useing this product.

Hope it helps
    Morne

4. Zuna

Zuna

dont think you can use that if you got inverts tho

5. ml

ml

Jip used it with corals, nenies and the works. nothing died

6. FransSny

FransSny

It is stated to be reef safe, But ive heard horror stories as well. Here's my opinion (and having a tang only tank..ive had a few issues with WS)

Raise your temp (some guys even go as high as 32 degr)
    Aerate the water
    lower your salinity
    keep stress to a minimum (quickly switching off your lights completely can actually add stress).
    let the parasite complete its cycle as it will be in your sand, rocks as well

7. Zuna

Zuna

how’s about getting two doctor fish in your tank seem to have helped me

8. FransSny

FransSny

sorry Zuna...dr fish ? do you mean cleaner wrasse

9. Zuna

Zuna

yip that what the german dudes call them... i got a new yellow from IDOL last week, he got a few spots on him but cleaner wrasse and shrimp was to the rescure

10. Goby

Goby Thread Starter

gr8 thanks for advice guys!

So how do i raise the temp? should i adjust the heater straight to let say 30/32 deg or should i increments it by lets say +2 deg over a period of time till i reach 32/32.

Is 32C safe. that is quite alot more than 25C?

And for how long should i run at this temp?

11. Goby

Goby Thread Starter

I'm going with what Frans said. Its called Hypo-Salanity.

I have read alot about it today and many recommends it to be one of the safest and more natural way to cure whitespot/ich.

If anyone can advice and confirm if the following values are safe and ok.

Take the temp up to 28C (over time)
    Aerate the water
    The SG is currently 1.025. Going to remove enough salt water and replace with RO water so that i get total SG of 1.023. For each day after i will remove more saltwater and replace with RO till i get a total SG of 1.009. I'm going to take it down day by day?

Day1 : 1.023
    Day2 : 1.021
    Day3 : 1.019
    Day4 : 1.017

Till day 8 : 1.009

Please advice a SG of 1.009 will be safe. have 2x clowns, 1x mandarin, 1x powder blue
    1x yellow tang and only a couple of shrooms.

They recommend running the system at this levels for at least a month.

12. FransSny

FransSny

goby I wouldnt go that low...ive done it in the 1.010 - 1.013 range without adverse effects. Just like the temp slowly is the key, also remember you would have to keep it there for a about 2 - 3 weeks

Good luck !

Just another thought ...dont go buy a cleaner wrasse to fix the problem, the effect on the environment is MASSIVE and eventually they die.

To assist I got more cleaner shrimps

13. Goby

Goby Thread Starter

Frans, will my change it SG be "rapid" enough. Have read that hyposalinity is most effective at "exploding" ich organisms when they are subjected to a "rapid" rather than a slow change in the osmotic pressure of the water around them, which is done by exposing them to a quickly lowered salinity environment.

my question, how quick is quick?

14. magman

magman

I can't believe this about salinity, I get whitespot myself from stressing if my salinity goes from 1.026 to 1.025.......:whistling:.....you learn something new every day.

15. FransSny

FransSny

Your question has a dual answer in my opinion.

I have heard of guys dropping the salinity to 0.015 in 1 go with a WC. I tried this when my sailfin got WS, made the problem worse and I lost the fish overnight. I think an already stressed fish could respond adversely to this.

What has worked for me is a once off drop of 0.005 (day 1) and the balance on day 2. Just make sure the water is same pH etc

I think exactly how you go about the drop in sg is going to be a bit different in every setup.

I hope this kind of answers your question

16. magman

magman

eish.......you are playing with fire and gonna stress everything else and make matters worse.

imo, whitespot is stress? Confirm?

rather leave and let the fish calm down, is there sufficient cover to hide, is the tank big enough? Obviously not eating, but leave it for a few days, and see if it eats, only go to the tank to feed.

rather put in a cleaner shrimp, then the fish can go to it when it wants, a cleaner wrasse can be irritating pestering the infected fish the whole time and make it stress more.
    If it does not eat in a week, give it a B12 jab, or maybe force feed.

Good Luck

17. FransSny

FransSny

please see my replies above....here's an article I found informative when I had my first outbreak

http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/marineich.html

Last edited: 29 Sep 2009
  18. magman

magman

Frans,
    the force feeding is the last choice before starvation, I have only force fed starving fish that will not eat at all, not really stressed fish that don't want to eat.

I would advise to try a B12, you would have to reasearch the correct dose though for the fish size, a RO water dip for 8-9 minutes ensuring that the PH is the same as the tank (user Bi carb to increase). I know with B12 that you cannot overdose, and the fish must be injected in the tail to avoid any damage.

I believe to force feed properly for stress, you need to drowse the fish with Phenoxy.

I would say leave it to run it's course, don't jeoperdise the whole tank and system cause of 1 fish. rather get it out and then treat it.

19. FransSny

FransSny

Sorry magman, I wasn't saying your treatment is wrong, just querying HOW you do it. I personally am not a fan of additives, medications and interference from our side. I try and let things run their natural cause as much as possible.

20. amalick

amalick

Guys - This topic has come up so much with no real definitive answers. Sometimes I think us reefers need meds too at the end of it all.

My 2c worth.

IMHO

Option 1 - Wait it out with great water parameters and rather boost the fishes immune system etc..

Option 2 if that fails after a reasonable wait :-
    Rather than spending money on large quantities of meds and dosing a healthy DT with meds that may have undisclosed side effects. Why not get a fish trap + small 80l qt + small external hang on filter etc... for the same price as the meds. This could then always be re-used as a qt in future for any new additions etc..

Trap the infected fish and qt for 6 weeks with copper treatment (much smaller quantities needed because of the reduced water volume). If your really aggressive you can try all sorts of things like Hypo salinity etc.. but then its in the QT and not your beautiful DT.

Hope I don't offend anyone..

Ps : Have a look at my previous thread on this as well White Spot Treatment Ideas - General Discussions

21. FransSny

FransSny

amalick...I agree completely, go do a google and see the amount of hits, preperations, ideas etc.

That is why I stand by my point that there is no one cure and every situation might need a different response. My personal favourite is 'option 1"

and BTW ...no offence taken

Recent Posts