Tang with bulging eyes

Reaction score
Hi All,got problem,advice please.I have a large tang(pencil),since yesterday has bulging and protruding eyes ...the fish is not overly distressed but obviously has trouble seeing...no other fish affected and tank parameters seem fine...anyone else had this problem...thanks in anticipation:)

i had a regal tang that got "pop" eye ... went away after 2 days ... as long as the fish is eating he shud be fine .... or maybe the fish thinks he is a freshwater black moor

Sorry forgot to mention that the tang may have made a meal of some star polyps(yellow green gsp),could it be a toxic reaction?

Normally pop eye is caused by a bacterial infection where the fish has scratched its eye on a rock or something in the system. Usually it clears up on its own after a week or so, make sure the tang carries on eating and feed plenty for the tang to eat with out over feeding. 9 times out of 10 it will be fine.

yeah nothing really to worry about.he'll be fine as long as he eats

Midas,no change,in fact the bulging is a bit more pronounced today...really hoping this guy is gonna come right...hallucinating fish not my cup of saltwater...

Hi midas...one eye healing other eye bulging...fish eating well...let's see(sic):006:

Sounds good, it can take a while for the eyes to heal, but they do seem to heal nicely with no ill effects (if it is normal pop-eye). Keep us posted.

thank you guys ...I think tang will be fine,your advice about making sure he gets enough food sure helped..will post as soon as all is back to normal.

Cool, glad to hear, he is after all a 20cm gorgeous specimen that no one wants to lose.

btw still think he`ll be best swimming around with other tangs in........ lets say a 2000l system or so?

Last edited:
Cool, glad to hear, he is after all a 20cm gorgeous specimen that no one wants to lose.

btw still think he`ll be best swimming around with other tangs in........ lets say a 2000l system or so?

I agree 100% Robin, but the eye is so sensitive that the poor fish shouldn't see all the bright colours there might be in that 2000L. So I suggest you get the tang and transfer the bright colour nuisance algae (aka soft corals & shrooms) to the Copper-kwane-holding-facility. And seeing you are a freind i won't charge you for that.

I agree 100% Robin, but the eye is so sensitive that the poor fish shouldn't see all the bright colours there might be in that 2000L. So I suggest you get the tang and transfer the bright colour nuisance algae (aka soft corals & shrooms) to the Copper-kwane-holding-facility. And seeing you are a freind i won't charge you for that.
:razz:

Back
Top Bottom