Tang White SPOT

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by ml, 26 May 2009.

1. ml

ml

Hi
    Please help me on this I realy need your advice on what to do in my marine tank I don't have any medicasion left is all used up and I don't wanted him to die. My dad is to buzy tomorrow and I won't get medicasion antill this weekend

Thanks ahead
    Morne

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Al

Al

Hi ML,

Is your tang eating?

4. ml

ml Thread Starter

He is eating like a pic brousing on all my rocks for grub and so on..

Mornè

5. scubaninja

scubaninja

ml if its eating just leave it. if you try and catch it you will add stress. just make sure he eats well until you can medicate. thats the best you can do.

6. Andreas

Andreas

Which tang is it?

7. dv8

dv8

tangs normaly get spots easaly in my experiance, they normaly heal on there own. they feel better in groups of the same kind. If you don't have corals or anemone in your tank, you could add some copper. Just double check with the guru's on that one. If possible just leave it alone. What type of tang is it?

8. Renannchen

Renannchen

If you have a hospital tank then put it in there... then the white spot will fall of its going to last 4 6weeks it needs fish to grow on so if you dont have a hospital tank, i suggest you get 1 asap... move all your fish into the hospital tank for six weeks, that is the time it takes to die off.. otherwise you will always have it in your system.. and any new fish you introduce to your system might have a chance of getting it... you should get ALL your fish out of your system...The other guys will tell you to feed garlic and do fresh water dips and all sort of different things, this is the only thing that is going to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. amalick

amalick

I have too agree - I have been battling this desease off and on for over 6 months now. Admittedly I haven't lost any fish yet, but it is certainly stressful for the reefer.The disease gives the illusion that its gone, but hangs around as a low level infection all the time. The tanks needs to be fellow of hosts (and then and only then will white spot die off).

There are sooooo many different views on this - that I will probably get challenged by the Guru's.

If none of the above work for you, then just keep you fish well fed and wait for his immune system to fight it off. I also add Cal C Vita to my system to help with the immune system.

10. lIghty

lIghty

ML,

Firstly, don't stress, is is common amongst Tangs, But some Info we need to be able to help properly......

• What tang is it?
    • What other fish do you have with him, and how long?
    • What "medication" have you been using?
    • Water quality, is everything ok? if no, this causes stress which = white spot, perform water changes to increase quality.
    • Is he eating, if Yes, just keep feeding well and he will clear up, Just don't over feed and cause poor water quality!
    • What type of system are you running? Fish only, Reef?
    • What is the SG of the tank?
    • What is the temp of the tank?
    • Do you have another empty tank you could if need be setup as a "hospital" tank?
    If you like, you can give me a call tomorrow, will pm you my number now.

11. Tony

Tony

If the tang is eating and the spots aren't too many just feed it a few times a day with foods soaked in vitamins and amino acids. Some guys use Barocca calcium or you can use marine products like Boyd Enteprises Vitachem

12. inflames

inflames

Hi ML,

I had the same problem with 2 of my tangs ( brown tang and yelloe sailfin tang) I was given the advise to drop my SG down to 1,018. I did the drop quickly with a water change and left it for 3 days. The white spot cleared up. I am sure that some guys will disagree with this, but it worked very well for me and all the other inhabitants were fine. You can drop the Salinity by taking 20% water out at a time and replace it with RO water. Do this once or twice a day until the Salinity is 1,018. I would not leave it at this level or even lower for more than 3 or 4 days.

13. lIghty

lIghty

But this is only advised if there are no corals!

14. Renannchen

Renannchen

The drop wont help i, it will only mature the white spot...causing it to fall off the tank and onto your sand, it will then break up and form eggs and then will go sit on the other fish you also have in your system.. the best advice is to set up the hospital tank.. big enough.. almost the same size as your system and then move all your fish in there, otherwize you will always sit with the white spot problem!!!!!!!!!

15. Renannchen

Renannchen

you can make the temp of your water watever you like, the white spot wont die if there is still fish in your system...

16. zee

zee

Worked for me, never came back.:thumbup:

17. Renannchen

Renannchen

it will always be in your system!!!!!!!!

18. Renannchen

Renannchen

Do you have tangs in your system zee?

19. zee

zee

Yip, grey and regal tang.I think with any other fish I`d stress but with tangs its a norm in marine fish.They get white spots if they stressing too, like if the tank is too small, or they dont have enough hiding places etc.I had a yellow tang with white spots once and removed it from my system, treated it with expensive stuff, and done the ``ro dip`` they I read about...He didnt make it, due to too much movement.When you do the hospital tank make sure the water perimeters are the same.

20. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

21. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

most tangs push through whitespot.. the more they get it the more resistand they get to it... the first time is always the worst...

Recent Posts