Tang prices going up???

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by viper357, 15 Dec 2013.

1. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Dang, I was hoping to get an Achilles eventually...but that said, if it is in an effort to preserve the wild populations then by all means it should be done.

4. viper357

viper357 Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

This'll make you cry then, Achilles for lunch? :p

[​IMG]

5. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Excuse me while I go sit in a corner and ball my eyes out :dft004:

Last edited: 15 Dec 2013
  6. Snoek

Snoek

That makes me sick to see those beautiful fish like that.

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yup I cry.

Different reasons to the exploited food pic that locals survive on.

8. Bflynn

Bflynn

[​IMG]

Nourishment for many, entertainment for some.

9. Haaibek

Haaibek

Glad they starting to see the impact it have, i saw yellow tangs small and med size at some LFS they so skinny you can nearly see thru them. Thousands of fish died because most suppliers don't care about the fish just the money. And others for eating ( fish cakes) destroying hundreds of one specie. same here in SA only 5 fish of one specie per person per day.. and the bad suppliers will be check. It all came back to humans destroying and stripping the ocean thats why governments starting to implement all. SA government also busy implementing new laws, on few species. On those species no in port, if breeding not aloud to sell or give it away. If they breed you may kept all the fry's raise them or dump them in the ocean. So no LFS will be aloud to sell them anymore, R 5000 fine a fish or jail time.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Its just a limitation per day on how many can be collected. My opinion, if they have less in stock, they would look better after them.

Yellow smaller than 2.5 inch is protected. Same as larger than 4.5inch. So 6.35 to 11.43cm is allowed.

Kole tangs, do I understand it correct? 5 per day if they are over 4inch? So you can take smaller than 4 inch without issues?

What do bother me is the limitation enforced on the marine trade to protect Kole and Achilles tangs. So that more adults are available as fish food. How come the adults are not protected to ensure a viable breeding population? If there is such a problem with numbers declining. What are the limits on these fish per day for food collection?

I really do not have other info, but it does feel to me its as if they are focusing on the marine aquarium trade as a culprit for the numbers declining, but the real issue is over fishing certain species for food. Where the fishing targets the adult breeding population.

11. reef addict

reef addict

Its shocking. . Sad

12. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

The fewer boring yellow tangs I see the happier I'll be. :whistling:

13. NitroNarcer

NitroNarcer

From what I heard recently is that the Xmas island suppliers have had a meeting about costs and they may be pushing prices up as well. So fish like Flame Angels, Black and Chevron Tangs prices may go up a bit as well.

Not necessarily a bad thing putting restrictions up. I get a email notification saying "400 yellow tangs collected today" and that's one supplier.

14. Haaibek

Haaibek

Don't think its a bad thing they can put limitation on all fish and coral. You want something then place a order at LFS shop. You get your fish and corals you want and not hundreds of fish and corals been imported and all do not sell. My opinion., :whistling:

15. Istio

Istio

Always support good fisheries management whether tuna, aquarium fishes...Just hope the regulations are informed by fisheries science and not by the ecomentalists...Prices might go up...but then economist will tell that demand will also go down...where the new price will settle is probably anyone's guess.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2013
  16. 4age

4age

I think a price increase on certain tangs will be good..seen many a new/unexperienced hobbiyist add powderblue tangs, yellow tangs etc to new tanks without knowing how to look after them. high price might make them think twice

that said....possible price increase comes at a time when I was considering selling my other tangs and buying a small Achilles for tank and future larger system..nothing I can do about increased price except pay the money once im ready and get a fish which I will look after even more and appreciate, knowing that it cost me two arms and a leg and is not commonly available

17. Duimpies

Duimpies

might have to start looking into aqua farming marines fish... like they do with fresh water fish

Recent Posts