tang fights

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Furbz, 16 Oct 2013.

1. Furbz

Furbz

hi guys,

i have a 1m by 600 by 550 tank.
    i only ever planned to keep a single tang in this setup (small yellow tang).

i recently bought a cube lock stock and with it came a medium sized purple tang.

i tried adding him to my current tank but my small yellow tang is having none of it and attacking the purple tang no end.

i never planned on keeping 2 tangs in my 1m and i suspect there is just not enough room for both tangs.

for now the purple tang is chilling in my sump.

my question is what are the chances of keeping them both in my tank and having them both happy and docile rather than stress and fighting.

from what comes of this thread i might end up selling the purple tang

(i also have the same issue with my percula clowns, the cube came with a beaut of a black perc and my percs and the new guy bite and fight constantly. as such the black perc has found his way into my sump)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Duimpies

Duimpies

as far as i have read, they say tangs of the same shape one should keep either as one , or more than two. and one should try introduce them together.

Maybe add a brown or salfin tang to mix , it in theory should spread the aggresion then amoungst the 4 of them then.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2013
  4. Momo

Momo

if you do deciede to sell the purple i'll take him:whistling:

5. the fish

the fish

put a mirror on one of the sides they will be distracted and will soon leave each other alone. seen this work.

6. Furbz

Furbz Thread Starter

you dont recon my tank is to small for 2 tangs?
    i dont want to loose a R1k plus fish to fighting...

7. crispin

crispin

Please dont add more aggresive fish into an aggresive situation whereby the most likley outcome is more aggresion. Dont add more tangs thats for sure!

Dont put a mirror near a tank thats going to attract a fish to try attach an opponent it cant get to, at best you'll just stress that fish out, at worst you'll get the fish to cause itself physical harm against the glass.

Skip this advice as well!

Furbz, as you say that tank is basically too small for tangs, so by having an established yellow tang in there he has taken the whole tank as his territory and will fight hard to keep it. There is no good news here, i simply dont believe you should add any tangs to that tank, and definatly not more tangs. Sell the Purple Tang.

if you have a big enough tank for two or more tangs, then adding a new aquascape and both fish together or within a day of each other they should accept each other. Yellow tangs and Purples often co-exist in large tanks fine, but they are both fairly aggresive for a tang and its still a risk, but atleast its a calculated risk.

Youve got the same problem with the clowns im afraid. the established clowns are NOT likely to accept a new commer into their territory, and for them thats the whole tank.

8. Furbz

Furbz Thread Starter

thanks you pretty much confirmed what i suspected.
    i'll create an add for the clown and purple tang

gonna be a b**ch to get a picture of him in my sump!

9. crispin

crispin

wow, that must be a big sump then! :p

10. Furbz

Furbz Thread Starter

its pretty much the same size as the tank! and has alot alot of equipment for him to hide behind. :lol:

11. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Mirror trick worked for me, as long as you keep an eye on the fish. However, Keith your tank will be too small for two tangs.

12. Fred d

Fred d

mirror worked for me too

13. Furbz

Furbz Thread Starter

yep thats my thoughts!

14. Furbz

Furbz Thread Starter

so whats the going rate for a purple tang these days?

15. JohanKotze

JohanKotze

Surely a person wont keep the mirror there untill the fish kills itself against the glass ? Surely it is just a temporary distraction untill the new fish has found its feet in the tank ? I dont think this advice should just be thrown in the gutter.

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

what would happen if you sump the yellow for a few days instead of the purple. I would swap them and on Saturday night put the yellow back in the tank. While you are around to keep an eye on them.

Depending on size. Both could still kept in that tank. But not forever. But maybe it is better to post something in the for sale section.

17. Furbz

Furbz Thread Starter

its tempting.
    but catching that yellow tang is going to be a nightmare!

18. crispin

crispin

in this case, yes id throw that advice down the gutter. My reasoning, and my experience being, that this is a small tank, with a well established aggresive yellow tang. add another yellow tang into the tank (be it real or a reflection) and the yellow tang will stress. Not might, will. In that case it has two options, one is to attempt to attack its reflection (the desired effect here?) which will most likley lead to injury, or it will take its increased frustration (now having to protect a tiny territory against two tangs) out on the purple even more. Again not a good sollution.

As for leaving the mirror there long enough for a fish to attempt to attack it, Im afraid is the only real way to do it and will require Furbz to sit and watch the situation over a period of hours and NOT leave the mirror and tank unattended while he is at work. If you do leave the mirror there unattended the aggresive fish is likely to try attack itself, if its not left there for a longish period the yellow tang will simply revert back to hammering the Purple tang. The only real advantage of a mirror near the tank is to distract the aggresor long enough for the subserviant fish to establish a section of reef as its bolt hole and then later on a territory. Which in a tank thats two small for one tang is not going to be possible for two tangs.

the mirror trick can work in the right situations, which im afraid is generally in larger tanks which have a number of tangs and the refection of the dominant tang distracts it enough for the other tangs to have a break from the constant attacks. But thats NOT the case here and ive given advice based on the situation this reefer finds himself in, which i feel is the right way to go about it. A mirror can also be useful in shoaling fish like anthias if the male is too aggresive to one or more females in his harem, although again its a process that has to be monitored and not left unattended over a long period of time.

In a number of cases an increased number of tangs of similar size or shape is benificial. 3 yellows, or five yellows often ends up with one dominant fish sharing its agresion out over the rest of the competitors.

again I feel thats not the case here and adding more tangs (even as a reflection) will most likely increase the levels of aggresion and frustration of the yellow tang and that will fall on the purple which is already being hammered.

all the above is simply my opinion, to what is realy a simple question. Is this tank big enough for a tang. No. Is it big enough to add another tang, NO. should you try add more tangs then? NO.

19. crispin

crispin

then other thing to note Johan is the ferocity with which a tang can attack when it has to. and if the yellow where to decide to attack its reflection due to the mirror harm is likely to be caused to the fish, whether someone is on hand to remove the mirror afterwards or not. once they swim at the reflection with intend the impact against the glass can be intence and one cant react fast enough to avoide it im afraid.

20. crispin

crispin

there seems little point (in my mind) of catching a fish thats established to try squeeze another tang in there. personally id leave the yellow be.

21. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish

Another option is to divide a portion of the tank into 2 with some egg crate, and put a tang each side, that way they can get used to each other without a chance of fighting.

Recent Posts