Tang Compatability

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by poiromaniax, 1 Feb 2010.

1. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

Hi Guys,

I have placed a "dibs" at Idol Marine on a Tomini Tang, (Tomini Tang - Blue Zoo Aquatics)

I am busy doing research on the fish (as well as waiting for the fish to come in and adjust etc :lol: )

I currently have a Sailfin Tang that is about 4-5cm (Sailfin Tang - Blue Zoo Aquatics")

My current tank is 1.2m, but hopefully I will have upgraded to a 1.5m by FIFA time :p (June/July for those that are currently residing in caves)

Do you think there will be a compatibility issue between the two?
    Other than the "territory battle" when I introduce him/her?
    What other factors should I be thinking of?

Thanks in advance :yeahdude:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Poiromaniax - there might most likely be some squabling and "showing who's boss" in the beginning. Luckily, from my experience - sailfins are not overtly aggresive, BUT, I have noticed that my sailfin sometimes DO get irritated by my scopas tang..... and then retaliates.....

Perhaps - when you add the tomini tang - feed the sailfin a lot before hand (nori) that it's tummy is full, and it does not feel like being agro when you add the tomini....

Also - add the tomini in the dark - to give both the tomini and sailfin chance to "Settle" before the light comes on, and the sailfin notices the tomini......

But, personally, I don't think that there would be any major issues.

BTW: how big will the tomini tang be?

4. jacquesb

Another thought - perhaps try and do some rescaping - just to confuse the sailfin a wee bit, immediately before adding the tomini tang.

5. Adee

Adee

You can also try leaning a big mirror against the side....will help take all the attention off the newcomer...worked for me when i added my smaller naso.

6. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

I don´t know the tomini tang, but the safest way for keeping different tangs in one tank is, to introduce them at the same time.
    I bought all my tangs, until I had what I wanted. I kept them all together in a plain tank.
    5 yellows, 4 regals, 1 sohal, 1 sailfin, 1 purple.
    Added all in one go is the easiest way to do. With each fish added, the risk will get higher. Always introduce the nice ones first, then keep the agressive species together in a plain tank and add them in one go. Everybody is performing with anybody until each of them got their own area.

If you got doubts, take the sailfin out and keep him for a while with the tomini together in a plain tank. Then add both together to your tank. If you consider another tang, when you set up your bigger tank, buy all tangs you want, keep them together in a plain tank for a while and add all into your new tank.

Lots of tanks and tangs in the post, don´t get confused.

7. crispin

crispin

ive seena number of tanks with tomminis and sailfins happily coexisting although ive never kepts a tommini myself.

8. poiromaniax

poiromaniax Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Thanks for all the good advice guys. If theres any real issues, I will rescape, but thats a BIG mission :p

Ill start by introducing in the dark, and feed the Sailfin heavily before lights out....

@ Jacquesb - not sure on the size yet, I asked them for a small one (2-3cm) - they will have to see what they get in.

9. jacquesb

Eish - that's sorry Poiromaniax..... if the new tang was bigger then the sailfin tang would not be as bossy............

10. crispin

crispin

i think the tommini will be ok, sailfins generally just flash their size and then move away, not that quick to bring out knives. after a little while the tommini will hold his own i am sure:)

out of interest (you may have read this already) but here is some basic info on them...

Tomini surgeonfish - Ctenochaetus tominiensis

11. poiromaniax

Well, I could see if they have a bigger one, but I always try get my fish smallish - so that I can keep them for a loooong time (hopefully)

My sailfin hardly even has his "scalpels" (dunno what the proper name for them is),so hopefully he wont cause too much damage to the tomini :)

Nice link, thanks crispy

12. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

The Tommini is one of the smaller tangs to start with, i really dont see any issues with compatability except in the begining when dominance is going to be determined. The Sailfin will win this round without blood shed and then peace will reign.
    Now having said that remember all fish are individuals and there are exceptions to the rule, so just keep an eye on them in the begining.

13. poiromaniax

Thanks Alan,

Will definately keep an eye on them!

14. emteey

emteey

I'm glad to have found this thread!

I don't want to highjack poiromaniax's thread, but I do not want to start a new thread on the same subject.

I want to keep a Kole Tang & a Purple Tang in my set up (1220x700x530). I have reaad that the Zebrasoma & Ctenochaetus can be kept together, but the Kole could be picked on. I assume one would add the Kole before the Purple tang. Any advice?

15. Yuri

Yuri

Your tank is to small

16. neil.h

neil.h

Too small for what? Both Tangs? Isn't that enough space for the Kole alone?

17. Yuri

Yuri

i will not put two tangs in a 4ft tank
    Why do you not look for a nice small angel
    The purple will also be very aggro in a small tank like that

18. emteey

emteey

Which is the best tang to keep then? In terms of efficiency in cleaning up and one that will add character to the setup. Or are there other Tang/s that I should look at.

How big should my tank be to house the two Tangs I want?

19. emteey

emteey

If that is the consensus, then the purple is out!!

20. Yuri

Yuri

The best will be 6ft and biger for two tangs
    Then i will not even put in a large tang like a naso

21. scubaninja

scubaninja

i dont think its too small. Sorry to disagree Yuri. The zebrasoma tangs IME can be kept in smaller tanks ( NOT NANOS! ) successfully and the Kole isn't as needy for large tanks as a powder blue or achilles would be, so you can keep those two in a 4ft. If the purple is put in after the kole has settled itself properly it will be alright.

Recent Posts