Tamarin wrasse

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Ethanjordanu, 19 Nov 2013.

1. Ethanjordanu

Ethanjordanu

Hi guys just wanna get some info , I bought a tamarin wrasse on sat and he been swimming all the time but this morning i saw he is swimming slow and at times lies up side down, is the generally what they do and also lie on there side ? Looks like he breathing heavy as we'll ....... Just asking for info thanx

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

have you tested your water parameters. how long has the tank been running for to me it sounds like there os ammonia or nitrate at high levels in your tank you should test params asap

4. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

or not enough dissolved oxygen

5. Ethanjordanu

Ethanjordanu Thread Starter

I have tested the water and everything is fine , but my other fish are all fine thou

6. Ethanjordanu

I have had it running for a month but bought it from a guy and he had it running for about 4 years

7. JohnDoe

JohnDoe

Is he it eating? Might have trouble keeping it alive as it eats critters from the gravel and if your tank is only a month old I doubt you'd have enough critters to keep it alive, unless it eats prepared foods. Normal behavior is he digs into the sand during the day and comes out to scourge at night for food.

8. Ethanjordanu

He did eat but will check on that all new to me thanx for info I see he disappears in the morning he just out for a while then gone

9. 4age

4age

tamarind wrasse are very hard to keep n I notice that they always ship poorly. dont kno many ppl who have kept them long term

10. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

How big is it and what species? Small juveniles often lie on their sides...if an adult is doing it then it's on its way out.

11. Zandy

Zandy

I have a yellowtail tamarin wrasse which for the first week or two only used to come out for a couple of minutes a day this got better as he got used to the tank and he is happy and swimming around with all other fish. The key is that they need to feed...perhaps try adding some newly hatched live brine shrimp after lights out to give him a fair chance to eat while the other fish rest !!

12. Achilles

Achilles

the symptoms do not sound good, they are a sensitive species especially if they are recently stressed.

i have kept and have various species of tamarins for years- they sleep in sand at night and never forage for long after lights out. Tamarin's which have acclimated to the aquarium are actually likely to bury before lights out.

Do you have a deep soft sand bed for this fish? they take a while to acclimate also are you sure no other fish is bullying it?

13. Ethanjordanu

Hi guys thanx for all reply but he did not make it found him this morning :(

Recent Posts