Taking photos of tank without a flash

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by hartz, 30 Mar 2008.

1. hartz

hartz

Hi,

I'm having trouble taking good photos of my tank. I do not want to turn the camera flash on for fear that it may harm the fishes eyes - they can't exactly complain if they get eye damage.

I'm sure one or two flashes will not harm them much, but for me it is almost a matter of principle! Harming the fish a little is just as bad as harming them a lot!

The light in the tank is too low to get a good picture without the use of a flash. So I'm basically buggered!

Any suggestions?

P.S. My tank is Freshwater and some of my fish, particularly the Peter's Elephant Nose, doesn't like bright light.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

Hartz,

My guess is that your fish will think nothing more of it than it's lighting and time to spawn. ;)

4. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

Harts: if your tank is lit well then your camera shouldn't need a flash. I notice when I use a flash is bleaches out all my colour. When I take photos o my tank I always turn the flash off.

5. shan

shan

hartz - i agree with galibore on the lightning -

also you could have a person stand with a flash light pointing at the fish - i have one of those 2 million candle power things and my wife becomes the stand - get some good colors that way.

also your camera could have a low light setting - find it and use it

6. vzyla

vzyla

I might be wrong here, but if your camera can adjust its ISO setting, Set it to ISO 800. The photo might be a bit grainy but i think it will work in the low light situation. No need for a Flash then

Recent Posts