Taking (dead) live rock in excess baggage to Canada

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by brianc47, 24 Mar 2013.

1. brianc47

brianc47

hi guys, I'm moving to Canada and wanted to know if I'm allowed to transport my (dead) live rock in excess baggage to Canada. The rock has been dead for a good few months.

And before anyone asks why dont I just buy it in Canada, it's about 20kgs of my favourite hand picked pieces that I've collected over the years that I dont want to part with.

Is there some kind of decontamination process that I need to follow (similar to Australia with animal hides) before I'm allowed to take it with me?

I've checked the net and cant seem to find any info on this.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Have you tried contacting the Canadian Embassy, they should be able to help you or at least put you in contact with the right people.

Good luck with the move, ever since I was a kid I've always wanted to live in Canada, Vancouver was my favourite. :(

p.s. Please visit us and show us your Canadian Reef once you're set up there. :)

4. brianc47

brianc47 Thread Starter

Thanks Viper. Unfortunately no luck from the Canadian embassy with regard to the specific transport of the (dead) live rock.

Will definitely post new pics once I've settled in :)

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I'm not sure if it's possible or how much it costs or where it could be done, but maybe look into getting it gamma sterilised/irradiated, they will give you a certificate once it's been done, at least then you've got something to show the authorities. I don't know.

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

get in touch with a wholesaler there, polyplab or a place that imports LR etc and see

7. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

8. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Day Dreamer Deluxe

Mail it - don't take it in your baggage. If it's dead rock, ship it. I reckon if you take it as excess baggage you'd raise a few eyebrows and make yourself a candidate for a cavity search.

9. brianc47

brianc47 Thread Starter

thanks guys!

10. LikesFish

LikesFish

You might have a hard time. When I moved here I wanted to take my (long dead) butterfly collection with. The Canadian government refused me to import them.

Best is to buy new rock here if you do not want to be in for a long and drawn out process.

Recent Posts