Taiwan coral reefs turn black

Reaction score
Taiwan coral reefs turn black
Reuters | 11 Minutes Ago

Coral reefs off the southeast coast of Taiwan have turned black with disease possibly due to sewage discharge, threatening fragile undersea ecosystems and tourism, a study released Friday said.

The discovery on a problem long suspected but seldom documented shows that coral is suffering widely in waters up to five meters deep and 300 meters offshore from two outlying islands, said researcher Chen Chao-lun of Taiwan’s state-funded Academia Sinica.

"This is a large distribution and we had no previous information," said Chen, whose began doing research with local environmental groups in 2007. "If you snorkel, you’ll see it’s black. If it’s all black, there won’t be too many tourists."

Coral reefs, delicate undersea structures resembling rocky gardens made by tiny animals called coral polyps, are important nurseries and shelters for fish and other sea life.

Coral covers about 400,000 square km of tropical ocean floor.

The biggest is Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, a collection of 2,900 reefs along 2,100 km of Australia’s northeast coast in a marine park the size of Germany.

dallasg

Reaction score
sad news, prob also from all the factories

Reaction score
That is very sad...But the saddest Question is are they ever going to do anything about it..:(

dallasg

Reaction score
of course not, read another article about the wildlife people chasing down japanese whalers, then they moan about us not recognising their culture, like they hunted whales before boats were around.... this makes my blood boil, i wish there was a sponsor a torpedo project

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
of course not, read another article about the wildlife people chasing down japanese whalers, then they moan about us not recognising their culture, like they hunted whales before boats were around.... this makes my blood boil, i wish there was a sponsor a torpedo project
Whales and Dolphins, it's too political:(

dallasg

Reaction score
gimme a sub and some torpedo's and i will be happy

Reaction score
you will probably get the sub and torpedo from the same country:p

Reaction score
It probably has a lot to do with ocean warming,overfishing and siltation and polution.with the climate changes hitting the world all around we should brace ouselves for some drastic changes happening in the oceans.maybe if they plant more mangrove trees to controll the siltation the coral reefs will thrive.as for pollution that a issue on its own(government should adress that issue).over fishing can be controlled with cultered fish farms.and as for ocean warming thats a global warming issue,which is not only is caused by the taiwanese but buy everybody in the world.

Reaction score
This is hectic!

dallasg

Reaction score