T5 Wiring

Neil H

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi guys

I need some help with wiring my T5’s

I have all the goodies and can read the diagram…. But there are a couple of questions I have … hope someone can help me out !

How do I connect the wires into the T5 ballast? Do I just shove the wires into the ballast ? I tried this and they seemed loose…. Is there a trick to this??

Can I wire the tubes directly ? must I solder the wires onto the tube? I don’t have space for end caps with my canopy….

Lastly …. How do I wire the mains into the ballast ….. there are a couple of symbols but I am not sure what they mean ….??? Help please okes !!

Reaction score
Have a look here, this is how i wired up my ballest. As for connecting the wires to the bulbs, you don't need end caps. Go to a DIY store and buy connecting blocks. U can then cut them in half and use the 1 side to hold the wire and the other side to hold firm onto the light. 2 per side should do.

Oh and forgot, there are metal clips just above where the wires go on the ballest. If u press down really hard (Flat screwdriver will do) while the wires in they basically clip fast holding the wire in place.

lighting.jpg

Reaction score
My ballast's wiring is a little different.

Earth, neutral, live the same.

But each globe connection has 4 separate wires connected to the ballasts output.

Reaction score
Hi Niel H post a pic of the ballast and we take it from there have just done my T5 lighting got end caps and dual ballasts from Dorry Pets

Reaction score
Even if a ballasts different, concepts stay the same. post a pic as stated before and ule have it wired up in no time

Reaction score
yip also need some help. my t5's just seems to flicker when i connect them.cant take a pic as i dont have the ballast close by, but maybe somone else can post a pic of their ballast:whistling:
Sounds like your ballasts is shot.

Reaction score
Hey guys

Here are some pics of my balasts. Wiring is done basically the same way as storm explained in his diagram. Hope this helps

DSC_2412.jpg

DSC_2411.jpg

Reaction score
Paul H do your ballasts look like the one in the pic if so give a PM with your no and will help you from there.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N DIY 6
Gucci General Discussions and Advice 8
Aqua noob DIY 5
aquaman1 DIY 12
Willie85 DIY 3