T5 uv lights.

Reaction score
Ok we all know that you can run a uv steriliser. .
But apparently you also can put an uv light in you're main display lights . Hope you guys understand what I mean.
I always thought that a uv can damaged you're eyes if you look at it directly. Or is this a total different uv globe all together?
Also what's the benefit off doing it

NO NEVER...

Should have a UV shield. It will damage your eyes. Same as watching somebody arch welding without proper eye protection.

Unless there is now something new on the market that I never heard about.

Thanks RiaanP. 5 hats what I thought. ..
A friend have bought a t5 quad unit for his tank and apparently there's two uv lights in there. They are not working so he wants to replace them
Hence my question.

UV? Or Moonlights?

Some T5 units had 2 moonlight LED units in them. Moonlights, yes he can replace.

OK, then again, some of the new LED units does have one or 2 UV leds in between the clusters. Not sure how they prevent UV radiation but apparently the corals needs it.

Apparently on the t5 globe stands uv
Not sure but also don't sound right to me.
I will get a definite answer on this.

There are different types of UV rays. UV A is what's used in the T5 and led lights for the colour 'pop'. UV C is what's used in the sterilizer.

UV C is a smaller wavelength and is dangerous.

Probably an actinic t5

UV is 400nm and shorter wave lengths. The LEDs in aquarium lights lights are just violets but close to the UV spectrum. 405nm is the closest to UV ive seen available from DIY build places

If memory serves me right the giesemann has t5 super actinic starting at 400nm

Please help out with this then: I've got a T5 with 4 spaces for globes. I've got a cold water tank. What do I put in those "spaces"?

For growth, white, 10000K and even lower. 6000K will give a lot of growth, but the water would look yellow and the algae would love you. So 10000 is good. Maybe even 12000 to 16000, slightly more crisp than 10000. Actinic and pure actinic, would give that blue deep water look, for the color pop. Bring out the florescence in the corals.

with 4 tubes, the old tried and tested combo, 2*10000 plus 2*20000

If you can get the other colors then the slight pink / red is an option, one 8000 for growth, 12000 or 15000 to offset the 8000 and a 20000. the pink/red can be swapped for another 12000 or 15000.

Start with the blue in the morning, bring in the whites 2 hours later. Evening switch off the whites, and let the tank run on the blues. With dual ballast this is why the tried and tested combo works better.

Riaan,

Great info - thanks a lot!

Back
Top Bottom