T5 tube arrangement, packed or spread

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by neo, 26 Aug 2010.

1. neo

neo

Hi,
    my light unit packs 8 T5 tubes into about 360mm of single reflector space.
    My tank is 650mm front to back so the light unit covers about 55%of the tank depth(front to back distance).
    Would spreading the 8 tubes evenly within the 650mm tank dimension provide better lighting for the corals than what is currently the case ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

id suggest packing as many as you can in, so long as they are on single reflectors or two to a reflector at min. You'll find the space the reflectors to be the limiting factor of how many you can fit in.

I am not sure what you want to do though. If you have a light unit already (360mm of the 650mm distance) then i would suggest adding additional bulbs to the uncovered area, but it really depends on what you wish to keep in there? if its sps and nennies, then you really want as much light as possible, but softies and fish require far less light in which case i should think the current unit should be fine?

4. neo

neo Thread Starter

Thx Crispin,
    I have fish, softies and LPS and will stay with this for now.
    I was just thinking whether 8 tubes spread over 650mm would be better usgae of the 8 tubes than having them squeezed into 360mm.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Unless you have corals right against the front glass, then there is no need to have a tube above the sand. The spread of light from the center tubes should be enough to light this area. Have most units right above your live rock and your corals.

With individual reflectors on T5 units, like on the Aquamedic unit where the reflector clips onto the tubes, angle the front and back reflectors to focus on the rocks.

Why highlight front and back glass areas, for the algae?

Last edited: 26 Aug 2010
  6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I would think you are overheating those tubes with so many being so close together.

7. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

Hi Neo I would place the fitting slightly off center as is (more to the back) This way the corals requireing more light will be placed high up (closer to the back) and have the corals requiring less light lower down. I have many clients with this same lighting even less maintaining the stock you have.

Recent Posts