T5 Spectral Graphs Report

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Jaco Schoeman, 15 May 2009.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Okey, so there are a couple of threads doing the rounds on what T5 manufacturer is the best? Now there are two basic lights we are looking at here - Daylight White lights and Blue / Actinic Lights.

The options available in the market are huge when it comes to T5's. Best known brands out there include Geisemann, ATI, Reeftek, Sylvania (Osram), Hagen / Glo.

I have spent some time looking for graphs and could unfortunately only manage to get information on Geisemann, ATI and Hagen. If anyone uses Reeftek or Sylvania, and they have the spectral graphs on the boxes they come in, please take photos of the graphs and post it, so we can have the info available...

If you want to learn more about how exactly lights work, why the spectral ranges, what is Lumen etc. please click on the following Link: '+alt+'

Daylight White Lights:

Lets look at White Light T5's - from Geisemann, ATI and Hagen Glo.

[​IMG]

If you look at the wavelength values between 550 and 600 (which is your yellow spectrum) you can see the Glo peeking at this value, with the Geisemann and the ATI much less. The Geisemann however does have a higher value here compared to the ATI. This yellow is the best for coral growth, however this dull out your corals a lot. This yellow color will make some SPS seem browner, and it may even stress out certain LPS corals.

When moving to the blue side of the wavelength between 400 and 450, you will also see that at 450, the ATI has more blue, and even more blue spread over the whole area between these wavelengths. Thus your sitting with much more color in your coral and fish. The Glo has only a little bit of blue in that range, again contributing to a much yellower look. The Geisemann has much higher spectrums in the 350 to 400 region, and even a tad of purple / violet, that one might think makes up for their higher yellow value? The ATI has a very crisp white look, and the better range in the blues, aparently lowers the tendency to grow too much zooxanthellae algae and brown / dull corals out. The lower value in yellow and red makes the AIT more soft, compared to the Geisemann and the Glo.

Below are some PAR values from Geisemann and ATI. 54W T5's were used in this test:

ATI Giesemann
    Sun Pro 357 Midday 325
    *Aquablue 336 *Aquablue 324
    Blue Plus 311 Actinic Plus 264
    Actinic 137 Pure Actinic 157

My final take on the White Light test, is that the ATI AquaBlue special is by far the best. With Geisemann following closely (with a pricetag too ;)) yet the Glo T5 does seem a bit on the yellow side. I personally had two of these GLO tubes in my tank, and the coral growth was crazy - BUT... when these lights were on, the tank really had a yellow glow, even with the two Geisemann Actinics switched on.

I thus swallow my previous statements regarding both Geisemann and Glo, as this clearly show the ATI coming out stronger - only when it comes to color and feel. But the most balance tube I still say is Geisemann, due it higher yellow which will help with coral growth, and the little purple it has compensates for this to look better - yet not as good as ATI though...

Actinic and Pure Actinic lights:

These two manufacturers (Geisemann and ATI) are so closely matched on the actinic side, that it is not even worth comparing, although my findings are that the Geisemann Pure Actinic (see below) is the better tube to use in conjunction with very bright light like MH's, as it will "damp" the yellow spectrum out much more.

The Geisemann has a very high purple value, thus working magic on Fluorescent colors in coral, especially on blues, greens and purples. It has VERY low values in yellow and red though, so this light really only colors everything up nicely, and has too little PAR to feed coral.

The ATI Pro Color has VERY high red in, and this aparantly brings out very nice red colors in red coral. The source of my information mentions using this ATI in a 6x 54W fixture, and says that even blue corals looked brown, even cream colors turn brown. He then tried it in his 8x 54W fixture, with the same effect. This then tells me one should not have this light unless you plan on keeping mainly red colored corals.

Please feel free to differ from me, as I am not an expert, and your opinions will be appreciated.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Tony likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Thanks for the info JAco. Maybre ATI are the way to go then

4. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Ja, I think if you go for T5's only, then yes, the ATI does look better. But in conjunction with MH (10000K) I would add the Geisemann Pure Actinics.

5. Thinus

Thinus

I Have found the following on Sylvania hope it helps
    See PDF files

6. Thinus

Thinus

Sorry here is the files

Attached Files:

7. Jaco Schoeman

Thanks bru, where did you get it? I searched my arse off!!! :(

8. Thinus

Thinus

9. Warr7207

Warr7207

10. Warr7207

Warr7207

11. Falcon

Falcon

HMM ive been trying this for some time now with no luck,cant even find a dam reeftek official website :whistling:.

what is surprising though is that the phillips 865's (T8 36W-6500K BUT LOOKS LIKE 10000K REEFTEK:p nice white no yellow) actually put out 90lm/watt which gives of around 3240lm for a 36w tube where as syvania's highest is 2800lm for a 54w tube which is only 52lm per watt!!!WTF???and their other globes even the 8500k t5 sylvania only gives of 1680lm which is low in my opinion.

now thats staggering performance from a t8 globe as metal halides normally give around 90lm per watt also!:thumbup:i've decided to run my softies tank with this initially but after doing all this research i'm thinking of trying some sps in here also once the system is stable..

thats right sps in a t8 system lol shoot me but i believe this tube will pull it of!oh yes but please newbies shouldnt try running sps on t8,please for your corals sake.

12. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Falcon - do you have have any more official source documentation/graphs providing backup for these figures, from Philips? It does sound a wee bit "too good to be true" (and usually if it does sound to good to be true - it is)...

Sorry for be such a sceptic - it's just that T8's are not usually such high output globes!

13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I think, if i remember correctly that Interpet, used to or still do, make a T8 35mm 20k tube with high output, that also cost an arm and a leg. I cant remember the name off hand, but they also made the original Blue Moon.

14. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

triton

15. jacquesb

What's that, ADVDiver? What is "triton"? Sorry - the only thing I know what is a "triton", is a Mitsiubishi 4x2 or 4x4?

16. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

17. jacquesb

LOL! Oh - OK - cool! Thanks for sharing.... and this globe is indeed VERY vaguely familiar to me.... I think it was wholly imported, and because being very few and far between - was extremely expensive!

18. Falcon

Falcon

WELL this is actually true,here's an official website,do note that even though it rates as a 6500k lamp the colour visually is as pleasing and even more crisp than a 10000k reeftek tube(not yellow but rather a crisp white).i have this running on my new 4ft tank and i can say the claimed output is definitely that high!

phillips 36w cool daylight with 90lm per watt output.

19. Falcon

Falcon

PLUS AFTER 15000 HOURS THEY MAINTAIN 90% OF THEIR LUMEN OUTPUT!so you could easily run it for three years before changing the tube!!perfect for the growth part of your display and then simply suppliment with a one or two pure actinic(the best pure actinic i've encountered is the zoo-med t8 36w coral sun, i rate it as visually better than my 54w giesemann pure actinic even!) and 20000k for coral colours to come out a bit...

check this lumen maintanance chart for the phillips 865 with insane lumens/watt...[​IMG]

20. Jaco Schoeman

Looks good, yes. And Falcon, is there any chance you can bench this project for us? Get a tube, diarize when you added it, and run it, see what it does, and let us know...

I have had T8's from Hagen, and bought the exact same T5, and I could clearly see the difference... So I am too a bit sceptic on the T8's... Had a Actinic T8 inbetween two T5 6700K, and you could not even see the T8!!!

So please try and update us...;)

21. jacquesb

WOW! Cool Falcon! Many thanks for sharing this! How easily is this globe obtained? Where all is this globe all sold?

Recent Posts