T5 replacements

Reaction score
Hi All

How often should one replace the T5 florecent 'globes'

I am getting conflicting info. Some say every 12 months, others say 2 years?

Hmmm, and ive heard/read of guys changing bulbs every 6 months. This is the problem with T5's they need to be changed frequently as compared to MH's.
The best way to actually know when the bulbs need replacement is by using a PAR meter. But sadly i believe they are highly priced. :(

thanks guys, maybe I should start with replacing the reflectors (cant get them very clean) and cleaning the salt creep of the T5's????? My lights are about a year old.

9 - 12 months is the "norm" but yes, if you have lots of salt creep it won't help the output.

Past changing time

Past changing time

That's really profound Irie Ivan - tell us more:)

Yeah, stop with the mono-syllable responses and explain yourself. :p

For example, is there a difference in the timeline of changing T5 tubes if you were running an SPS dominated setup as opposed to an LPS/Softy setup, or a frag tank for that matter, if the frag tank were shallow (say 30cm's) then would you be able to use the lights for longer? Does the penetration diminish or the PAR or both or is PAR and penetration the same thing?

Less jah and more munch please :D

Screw the lights i want Irie Ivan to tell us about different astral plains, right?:)

If you are running T5 as your primary light source, then :) your time has come and gone. If they are supplementing halides then change them when they crawl into a corner and the spark of life leaves their tired overworked bodies.

i have heared that one needs to chance them evry 2 years...but i do it every 6 months

I say 12-14 months, and I overdrive mine on IceCap ballasts. In my case, I have toyed around with different bulbs until I found what I liked. This trial period means I only have to replace one or 2 bulbs every 3 months.... 6 bulbs total, just different replacement times. :D

Yes 9-12 months i am going to pay a **** load when i got 2 change 8x8owatt t5s i am ****ting my self,got to rob a bank to do it

Sorry I just can`t see your logic why not just use 2 or 3 halides?Makes no sense at all to me except that maybe the guy who sold them to you is a good salesman.

Sorry I just can`t see your logic why not just use 2 or 3 halides?Makes no sense at all to me except that maybe the guy who sold them to you is a good salesman.

*Marc climbs onto soap box*

Zookeeper, while the costs of replacement are high, the long term ROI is pretty good in cooling and electricity, and whats ths cost of the MH bulbs when they need replacing? I have a closed hood on my tank, and thus cannot run MH - the T5's alone have me battling with heat, but I can control it - MH would make the purchase of a chiller a given.

You should see my tank under the 15000K Geisemann and 8000K ATI's bud - flippen awesome - and no salesman sold it to me as I built the rig myself. The coverage for T5's in a tank is far better than MH IMO too.

*Marc off soap box*

Back
Top Bottom