T5 lighting question

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Konrad, 26 Jan 2012.

1. Konrad

Konrad

At the momont im running 4x54w T5 1200mm on my system, 1.4x0.45x0.5(lwd). I only keep soft corrals and one lps. Can one keep anemones and clams under this lighting? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Submariner

Submariner

No you will need a minimum of 250 watt halides a high quality LED Or you will need to double up on the T5's

You may get away with 150 MH at 450D but wouldn't risk it.

Last edited: 26 Jan 2012
  4. Wes

Wes

depending on the depth of your tank you should be good with the anemone's, try the anemone section...

5. Konrad

Konrad Thread Starter

Tank depth is 50cm, what formulae can be used when calculating the lighting needs at certain depths?

6. Submariner

Submariner

Hi Konrad

If you are thinking of keeping anemone and clams .

At 500 deep you need minimum 150 watt MH.
    Or you will need a serious amount of T5's

Clams and nennies are very light hungry.

I have found both do best under 250 MH and Up

The other option would be a high power LED light.

I am having great results with the cree xpe LED's in the vertex illumina.

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

im not totally in agreement with all advice as i do believe we have come a long way with T5 tubes in the last few years, we now have acess to better and longer output of par and spectrum, so i personally would shoot for 6 x 54w T5 on a system of this size, but i do believe 4 x 54w T5 will suffice..

coupling the lighting with the right maturity of the system i dont think you will have a problem..

8. Konrad

Konrad Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, I think I’ll add two more t5’s, ive got a lid that goes over the tank and will struggle with water temp when adding MH’s.

9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

We have many systems with anemones and clams running with T5 only.

A BTA will be fine under 4 good quality T5 lights. A Radianthus will require a lot more though.

10. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Hi could you guys give us a list of softies and LPS that could be kept under 4 T5s at 500 depth.

11. Merman

Merman

i beleive all softies can be kept under that lighting.....LPS might have some more requirements but I have kept fox frogspawn and hammer under 4 39w t5s at about 500mm depth with no issues

12. Tony

Tony

I have found that T5's dont work as well as a halide on deeper tanks. When I started my new tank I have a single 250W Geisemann bulb in an Aquarium Depot pendant. I got more growth out of that light than 8 x 39 Watt Geiseman bulbs in a Aqua Medic pendant with fans. My digitata which was in a corner of the tank was growing well with the halide and it is barely growing now, the clove polyps arent spreading and the ones that were there and growing with the halide are just sustaining themself, not growing but not receding. I fortunately still have the halide and I am tempted to put it back and yank out the T5's. I really dont think my parameters are out of balance to hinder the growth but I just dont see much growth. The tank is 750 deep with the water level at 650. This is my personal experience based on observation. Maybe a few more bulbs would change things as I saw aquarium depots tank doing brilliantly under T5's but they had 12 bulbs and the tank is much shallower than mine

Nemos Janitor likes this.
  13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

That is going to be one very very long list. :) There are not many corals that one cannot keep under T5's. In fact i cannot think of any offhand.

To avoid confusion some people refer to depth as meaning water height and other people refer depth as width. We will assume the "depth" we are talking about is water height.

T5 globes are good for tanks that are up to 850mm Deep (water height). Where quantity comes in is when we talk about tank width. Four x T5 globes are fine for narrower tanks that are 300 -450mm wide but no good for a 600mm wide tank.

Extract from info on the D-D site.

T5 Powerchrome Tubes | Deltec USA | Marine Aquarium | The Aquarium Solution

"The D-D Aquablue Plus is regarded as the number one bulb for marine and reef aquariums and is exported all over the world. A special 60:40 combination of 6000K and 22000K (approx) phosphor blend.
    It is specifically designed for reef aquariums mimicking sea water to a depth of one to twenty meters. It can be used for growing SPS corals up to 80cm in the aquarium."

Last edited: 27 Jan 2012
  14. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

I think its also worth mentioning that if you are not using reflectors you are wasting the potential of your light. Reflectors are a guy on a budgets best friend to try get extra out of your lighting.

Its important to remain practical and keep whatlighting within the reefers reach, I would say if you are going to have less tubes try invest in the best possible, (this should be common practice) but if you are a but pinched in the pocket, a mixture with some "cheaper" branded tubes may be necessary rather than nothing at all.

15. Submariner

Submariner

Guys just because you can keep clams and Nennie's under T5 doesnt mean they are recommended.

I have kept many clams including Maxima, Crocea and Squamosa.

They have always done better hunder MH Lighting.

One of my previous tanks had a total of 15 Clams of various sizes and type.

I spent alot of time researching there needs and lighting was the first thing that came up when doing my research

The advice was simple use a MH of 250 Watts and up, this was directly from a farm over seas that had huge clam beds.

They said although clams can survive under less if you want to them to survive long term go with MH.

I agree T5 have progressed but they still lack the intensity that MH provide.

If you are going T5 then 6 x T5 would be the minimum.

Last edited: 27 Jan 2012
Recent Posts