T5 for SPS?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Fishy Steve, 29 Mar 2009.

1. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

My new tank is up and running. This week i'm getting a light unit that fits 3 39watt T5's. My current unit has 2 24watt T5's. I wanna know if this would be enough light for some SPS coral. My tank is 48cm high but i have a 10cm Dsb in the DT making it 38cm. I plan on getting decent bulbs. I was thinking 3 10000k, 1 14000k and 1 Actinic. What do u SPS guys think?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

MAybe 8 T5's. Five white and three actinics. It can be done but not with three bulbs

4. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Thread Starter Hiden super user

I was planning on using the 24watt unit as well. So altogether 165 watts of light on a shallow tank. I'm no expert but that seems ok to me but thats why i'm asking. It is only a 3 foot tank. Is it still a no no?

5. Tony

Tony

You could get by with 165watts as your tank is shallow. Your system also needs to be mature and stable with no nitrates and phosphates or the corals will brown

6. Warr7207

Warr7207

You need to aim for at least 250 watts of T5's

7. Fishy Steve

I guess if 2 guys who know what they're doing say its not enough it isn't. There won't be SPS in the tank for a while until i can get more light then. I just don't want a metal Halide cooking my water to the point i need a chiller. Thanks guys.

8. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

9. Tony

Tony

Believe it or not T5's produce the same amount of heat watt for watt as metal halides. It's just that the heat is spread along the length of the tube which is why it feels warm not hot. There was a guy on reefkeeping.com who ran an SPS tank on T5's. Here's the link
    Tank of the Month - July 2008 - Reefkeeping.com

10. Monti

Monti

I personally think you can probably get away with 5 if you are clever with your aquascaping and coral palcement, and maybe lean towards montiporas and other easier to keep sps.

Also, a lot depends on bulb quality and whether or not reflectors are used.

11. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Fit as many T5's as possible. At that depth T5's will penetrate the water well and SPS will thrive under them. As Shaun mentioned, a minimum of 6.

12. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi Steve. I am no expert on SPS at all, but as far as I know the sun produces about 6700 - 8000k. I have two 6700k 39W tubes in my 3 foot (30cm deep) I then have one 30W T8 Actnin, one 24W T5 Actnic and one 14000k 24W T5. I have NO SPS, true, but believe me my LPS are VERY happy under these lights.

The point or suggestion I want to make is that you maybe want to rather put two 6700k tubes in, with what you said. Remember that these tubes make your tank seem yellow, but this wavelength are the best for coral growth. Your acnic lights will reduce this yellow look, and give the coral a bit more color. There is a german manufactured tube (geisenheim or something) that has a blue tube producing something like 22000k - VERY BLUE... This will help with balancing the blue / yellow... Although your blue's make your coral look nice, they do not really help with growth. You might want to look into that...

13. Tony

Tony

Jaco, you can put the lower kelvin tubes to get them to grow fast but use the bluer spectrum to get them to colour up

14. Monti

Monti

Tony is right. Personally I dont like tanks that are too blue, so would probably go with one very blue bulb (the Giesseman is a lovely blue) and the rest would be in the vicinity of 10000 K or so. Also remember that coral colouration is also partly a trick of the eye based on the light colouration... ie. you can take a coral under 20000K bulbs and it will look one colour. Stick it in another tank with a different colour, say 10 000 K and it will look slightly different even though its acutal colouration has not changed.

I hope that made sense? You may want to read this....

Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine - Feature Article: Coral Coloration and Incident Light: A Photographic Essay

15. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Yes Tony and Monti, I agree. That was the point I was trying to make. Lower kelvin tubes make for excellent growth, but blue makes for a nice view. If you only have blue lights in a tank, I think your coral would bleach and die. So that's why I say, go for 6700k tubes, plenty of them, and balance it out with a few high K blues...

16. Fishy Steve

I went and bought an ATI 39WATT Blue special bulb to test out. Holy cow, its amazing. I put it on and at first i was like what the hell did i just spend all that money for. I left it on while i went shopping and when i came back it looked brighter than before and my hammer looked better than it has in ages. That was yesterday. Today the hammer is looking amazing and splitting. I am gonna go get another tube tomorrow and more at the end of the month. I will then try my first SPS frag and c how it goes.

17. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

I like that ATI tube as well. But I doubt the hammer will split for 1 days use. Fugi Purple is another good one to get for SPS.

18. Fishy Steve

Think it was already splitting but it is way more open and the colour is showing up more intense. What company makes the purple bulb?

19. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Off hand don't know, I know NAAC should have them. Will try find the web site.

20. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

21. Fishy Steve

Cool. Thanks. Gonna google them now, do some reading then try to find out if naac have them.

Recent Posts