T5 Diy

Reaction score
HI guys.

I need some help doing the weiring of my T5's.

My tank arrived at last. I jumped in and did the plumbing (no leaks), scaping (lots of pretly's but looks good to me) and lights. Flipped the switch...AND...nothing.

Both my ballasts. I'm thinking there must be a lose wire somewhere.

It is 4 54watt T5's.

Can anyone give me a little map of where the wires should go. The ballast have 7 whole/pin thingies (i'm not technical at all :whistling:)

I followed the LFS's instructions but want to double check,

In the mean time I'll redo all the connections. Do you ahve to use the end caps or can I wire directly tot the tube and seal it. Then I can see them make contact...

Do the ballasts not have wiring diagrams on top of them?

They do. Aren't these universal?

If I remember correctly they go 1 and 2 on globe 1 right side
6 and 7 on globe 2 right side
then globe 1 and 2 is connected left side by one wire
3 on globe 1 left side
5 on globe 2 left side to complete the cercuit... Does that sound right?

Lappies,is it possible to post a pic of your ballast or perhaps have a link or brand

o.k dude
my first ballest broke because i fitted the wrong wires in the wrong places.
BEWARE.
pate a pic of the ballest mine has 7 pines one side and 3-4 on the other side

Different makes different connections. Agree with Viper there should be a diagram on the ballast though.

I think it is the same brand as on Dori's pet's. The 54 Watt dual ballast. I'll see if I can't get a pic tonight. Shoot I hope I didn't blow the thing :(

yip i have the same one, i broke the first one and R200 later i fiitted the wires a o.k.
That 3 wires that goes in the plug must be the wires to check twice.

The guy at the LFS told me that if I just use two wires there I don;t have to worry about live, neutral and earth. Shoot, hope this was not the problem.

How is yours wired Lanzo? The three that goes to the plug, top to bottom?

Oh and did yours make any noise or smoke when you did it wrong Lanzo?
Mine didn't do anything, so I am hoping for loose connection still :)

mine also did nothing, and i also connected it with two wires at first.
So i took it to the lfs and told them that they sold me a peace of k@k and that they must please put it together, so they did that and it stilldidn't work, so they opened it up and saw it broke.

look at the pictures on the ballest where the 3 wires must go in, and look under the plug that you are going to use, then you just connect the pictures with each other.
Thats what i did and it worked the second time.
I'll have a look a bit later to see what is going on.

Oi Vay. What a way to start...

Where in PTA are you Lanzo? I'm in Lynwoodridge.

I just want to get my tank going to get the cycling started... Maybe I'll have to buy another ballast then :-( Expensive hobby this...

i'm in villieria area,Pierneef street.
Try dorry pets he sells ballest for R185 plus 15% discount
before you buy new one tjek that you done everything o.k, i'll have a look now to see were does what go.

Thanks Man, appreciate it.

Looks like there prices are very competitive.
Where else in PTA do you buy?

Shawn and Moolis at Pet stop built my tank.

yip he was my LFS too, but i stoped buying there because i wrote something on the forum about him and he kaked in his pants.(some ideate told on me!!!)
Lets just say me and ferdie from dorry pets is big chomas now!

o.k tjom
(from top to bottom)the fist one is the earth the one that looks like a upside down tree
2nd one is life
3de one is neutral

on the plug
: top earth, left live, right neutral
And dorry is getting credit card machine maybe next week

Whoo hooo :thumbup: for Dorry's. Now I'll need to learn self control or get someone to hold my cards for my :whistling: before the bank manager comes knocking on my door.

Back
Top Bottom