t5 advice

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by chikaboo, 4 May 2009.

1. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi everyone I want to venture out with my first corals plan on getting some zoa's - I have existing 54watt t5 4 foot fittings over my 6 foot and 39 watt fittings 3 foot t5 over my 3 foot - need some advice coz all are 6400k so my tank is yellowish - what would you guys suggest - 6 foot is 0.6m deep and 0.6m wide & 3 foot 0.3m wide and 0.3m deep - My confusion comes about with high kelvin rated 10,12,20K blue t5 and 10,12,20K white- are the blue t5 used only as moonlights? Thanx in advance

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Chikaboo - you NEED to add blue lighting to your tank - in whichever format you want to add them - blue/actinic lighting. That will remove the "yellow'ish" look from the tank water.....

4. brettb2020

brettb2020

how many t5's do you have in each tank?

5. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Ok what combination would be good for these size tanks? How many whites how many blues? For the 3 foot and the 6 foot? thanx

6. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Hi brett I have 6 t5 in each tank

7. jacquesb

Chikaboo - w.r.t the BLUE/actinic globes/lamps - these are NOT as important to keep your lifestock happy, as ie. the WHITE lighting....

So - experiment, would be my BEST suggestion. See how you can fit these inbetween your current white lights..... I would say to have as "many as you need, until the coloration of the tank and corals looks good to you"..... Sorry for the vague answer.... but this is really a personal choice.... some people like/prefer a lot more blue in their tanks - others not.....Generically - I would say the formula is for every 2 white globes, 1 blue globe.... but, that's me, hey...

8. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Ok will have to get some blues and whites - my problem is this weekend want to get a few from Lanzo because even our local electrical shops have no idea about higher K rating than 6400K so thats my dilema - just thought if I knew he could get them ready for me being a weekend and all;)

9. jacquesb

LOL! No Probs Chikaboo..... but for the "blue lighting" - you CAN use actinics - they look awesome - but you don't HAVE to... you can settle for "blue fluorescents" as well....... ;) (Just not UV lighting - as in "black light").....

10. brettb2020

brettb2020

well if you got 6, follow jacques formula and try 4 whites(10000k) and 2 blues(20000k) :thumbup: i use that formula and it looks great:)

11. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

I have tons of those 2/3/4 even 5 foot blue fluorescents just not T5 thin

12. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Another confusing thing I read throughout other post is the high rating kelvin rating white tubes appear to be blue so what gives with that?

13. jacquesb

That will work Chikaboo - more than perfect. The blue does not HAVE to be T5's..... it's the white's that's important. T5's for aquarium use, are HO (HIGH OUTPUT), where T8's is not (they are NO's - NORMAL OUTPUT). The blue light is to bring out the colors of the fish and corals - and to make the tank look more blue than yellow..... So - go ahead - why spend more money than you HAVE to - go use your current T8's.....

14. jacquesb

Yeah - that is for people who like the "blue look" but still want white lighting (for a higher PAR).... This MOSTLY applicable to metal halides.... not really that much to T5's.....
    Those are STILL white, with a strong bluish hue (the 20000K globes).... where as the lower the Kelvin rating, the whiter and then yellower it will look.
    ie. 10000K light looks more yellow than 14000K light. 14000K light/globes looks more "white" than 16000K light/globes, which already starts to look a lot more blue, than the 14000K globes.....
    I hope you understand....

15. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Ok cool thanx brett and jacquesb for all the advice by the time I'm finished I'll light up Newcastle:lol: sorry for all the questions but this new journey with corals must not prove to be too hard and confusing otherwise I go running back to fish only;)

16. jacquesb

LOL Chikaboo - you should see what my house looks like, from OUTSIDE! ;) People look at my house funny at nighttime! ;)
    LOL!

17. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

Hey I remember that I had a Lg tank that stood infront of a high window and coming home from a light out we where often slightly hammered and one thing that giuded us home was the blue glow from the aquarium. HMMMM the good days.....

...and we where right opposite a church. LOL

PS. I run a ratio of 1 X Actinic to 2 X White's. Oh and try get hold of some 80w T5's for your 6ft they will make a big difference.

Recent Posts