Syphon Filter

Reaction score
hey guys i really need help.
built myself a syphon to get water into my sump, cant drill! but now i cant get the inlet flow to equal the outlet flow. i have put a valve on the inlet pipe to regulate the amount of flow. but i cant get it 100% perfect.
really need help on this one.

9364897255873d83.jpg

this is the syphon i built got the image from here.

By inlet you mean the end of the pipe that connects to the display tank and not the sump correct? Maybe the valve was better on the output? the oveflow pipe would only allow as much water to flow into the sump that the inlet would let it so are you having the sump being filled with too much water or the sump being left more dry(as in too much water is being pumped back into the tank)? If the latter is the case maybe open up your valve to allow more flow into your sump, if its the former, you would just have to tinker with the valve to try and slow it down to the same speed. if your sump if being left more dry then maybe you should open the valve as much as possible but if its still drying up you may need to make another hole on the inlet. that help?

hey thanks for the reply.
yes i have been doing that in theory it would work but it will slowly beome unbalanced. you will never get the flow to be exactly the same. is there any other way of doing a syphon overflow?

ya i think there is, no matter what power your return pump, that water which is excess to your display tank will flow down to your sump. So open your overflow 100% thats is the only way to keep the water going in equal to the water going out. If that flow is too fast for you you could always put your valve on the output of the pump. That cool?

oh ok i understand what you are saying now. but when that is done it sucks air in aswell and makes a hell of a noise. anyway of reducing the noise?

Yes there is. You can attach a Durso standpipe. It looks kind of like an r-pipe. like the shape of an r, it is in the MASApedia page, go to beginners, then Durso. Or even just use this link
http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/wiki/images/6/65/Durso_assembled.jpg
Durso_assembled.jpg

Its really easy to make. All you really need it the the bit on the end that looks like an r. I used an ordinary bit of PVC Y-bend piping. Really cheap. it was like R12 or something. It would really help you out. Drastically makes things quieter, The pipe would sit vertical, with the bendin the water at its surface, check this link cause i think my description was bad:)
http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/wiki/images/e/ed/Complete_tank3.jpg
Complete_tank3.jpg

These are all MASA links so its definitely good!

Last edited by a moderator:
I built myself a Durso and can finally sleep at night without a gurgling noise keeping me awake!:thumbup: Would definitely recommend it, cheap, easy to built and very effective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Btw, why can't you drill if you don't mind me asking?

Back
Top Bottom