Synthetic Salt

joe

Reaction score
Good Morning lads
i am us sing synthetic salt however im buying it by the kilo from an LFS , so i buy 1 kilo per week with one drum of RO . This has been working quite well for me .
My concern is that I just realised the LFS does not always sell me the same brand of salt it varies between a bout 4-5 various brands.

Is this a problem that i should be concerned about ?

Do u guys think i should rather buy my own drum of salt?

I have calculated and cost wise it works out to the same thing .

Have you checked prices of salt from ecoaquatics/Millepora? Then compare prices.

I don't know about the other guy's, but I stick to one brand , Tropic Marin. It will work you out much cheaper if you buy a big 20 - 30kg bag / drum

What make salt is it that you have bought ?

well the LFS sells various brands like i`ve said , from AM, seachem,Reef crystals to mention a few , im not really worried about the cost im just concerned that using various brands will cause inconsistancies in my water parameters and not allow my system to settle . I dont know if that makes sense .Do the brands vary in chemical make up ?

Yes Different brands vary, Ca and KH levels specifically.
You should check these params before adding to your system.
It would be better to stick to one brand that you know.

Thanx guys , i think u right sticking to one brand does make more sense

As Anthony says stick to one brand. There are webpages that specifically weigh up one brand to another. Most are one or other company toting their product but it dows give you an indication of the differences. I don't have a link now. Try google.

You should probably buy say a kilo of each brand or something, do a range of tests for parameters that you are interested in and then decided on a single brand.

Back
Top Bottom